Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Towing

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Hi I plan on towing with my vf calais how do I find the capacity of the towbar fitted and if my car has the super lift shock absorbers fitted?

Cheers

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
There should be a towbar placard near tyre one (inside drivers door jamb) They stick these on when the tow bar is fitted.This will give your towing capacity. Not sure about superlifts sorry.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
If the towbar is genuine Holden, I know with the VE that the flat tongue type are 1200Kg only, the square hitch type is 1600Kg rated if no Weight Distribution hitch or Super lift shocks, or 2100Kg with WDH and/or Superlift shocks.

Philmecrackun

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V 6.2L 1972 Ford Galaxie Wagon 400ci
Does it have a flat tongue (normally 1200 kgs) or does it have a square Hayman Reese type hitch normally 1600 or 2100 kgs), mine has a plate welded under the tow bar with the specs on it and is a genuine bar.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The law requires some for of label is attached to either the tow bar itself or the vehicle b-pillar which lists the towball weight and trailer weight that can be towed. If there is no label, go back to the dealer where you purchased it and get them to fit a label to it... If you bought it private, or had the tow bar fitted at some place other than a Holden dealer, they should add the label.

As for superlift shocks, these use air to adjust the rear vehicle height so there should be a valve that you use to pump them up to raise the rear or let the air out to lower the rear. It looks just like a tyre valve and should be placed near the rear tow bar or in the boot. There is an accessories PDF within the forum that lists the install of superlift shocks... if I find where I’ll add a link to it... here it is...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Thanks for all the replies guys I have found the label I have had a look around the towbar I can't see any valve so I don't think I have the rear shocks

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Thanks for all the replies guys I have found the label I have had a look around the towbar I can't see any valve so I don't think I have the rear shocks
My height levelling shocks had air bags integrated at their base which had air lines leading to them to basically pump them up. In my case, there was an air pump activated by the level on the drive shaft height. Maybe take a look at the back shocks to see if they have the bags?

Philmecrackun

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V 6.2L 1972 Ford Galaxie Wagon 400ci
This is on mine as haven't fitted it yet.

Attachments

• IMG_2015.JPG
    IMG_2015.JPG
    241 KB · Views: 315

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
No plate is welded to the 2100kg tow bar of my MSE (that i can see). There is a Holden sticker on the bar itself which is visible from under the vehicle and shows towbar p/n 92284756 and tongue p/n 92201115, allowable weights, etc. There is also a towbar compliance sticker in the drivers b-pillar which is more protected from weather and easier for the driver to check ;)

However, I do prefer the old style stamped plates on the parts themselves as the sticker will likely fade or weather in time which makes buying second hand a little less certain as to what you may be getting.

Likely I’ll never tow more than a lightly loaded box trailer on the rare occasion so a 1200kg bar would have been preferred (as I suspect the rear bumper doesn’t need to be cut during the install process and though not really sure). Unfortunately the dealer said such bars were no longer available but now I think they were telling me porkies :eek:

Clarkemck

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf calais v
Hi, i have the same tow bar fitted to my 2015 vf calais v wagon too (92284756) although the invoice i was given (and the dealer part number required for my car is 92287455).
Is there any difference between the 2 part numbers?
My tow bar neck seems to stick out from my bumper bar by a substancial amount more than all other vf wagons i have seen. I have been trying to identify the 92287456 part number but so far my local dealer said this part number is not in the parts system.