Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Towing

Clarkemck

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf calais v
This is a GM part number as trailer hitch but just not listed in EPC.
If thats the case, i assume it is still the correct part and part number for my car (2015 Calais V wagon) im sure they cant physically fit the wrong towbar. Should they have fitted the bar with the proper number as per the invoice still? I would rather rectify it or just have confirmation before i go and tow something

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
If thats the case, i assume it is still the correct part and part number for my car (2015 Calais V wagon) im sure they cant physically fit the wrong towbar. Should they have fitted the bar with the proper number as per the invoice still? I would rather rectify it or just have confirmation before i go and tow something

I doubt if the towbar would be incorrect as the sedan and wagon use the same bar. I would assume there has been an update on the towbar which has resulted a new part number issued. Previous parts have been 92289854 and 92289855 for tow bar package 1600/2100KG.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@Clarkemck I’m sure there is no issue. If it is a concern, simply get the dealer to reissue the invoice to reflect the part they actually installed. If the dealer has any concerns with doing that then ring HCC. In future, should any mishap occur that is due to the installed bar, you have the paper trail leading back to the dealer.

For me, it’s more important that if any issue is found with the installed bar that requires a recall, as does occur from time to time, you can be contacted. To aid such contact, one would think the dealer should have entered the installed part number (not the wrong invoice part number) against your VIN into Holden’s system. But I’m not even sure that such a process is even part of the dealer workflow when installing Holden supplied accessories. Any one know what happens in this regard, if anything?

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I thought that the sedan and wagons used different towbars, but I might be wrong?

Here is a picture of the sticker on the B pillar of my wagon...

E60EB750-72A1-4F00-A477-22D4D9FB67D3.jpeg

Clarkemck

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf calais v
That does give me a little more peace of mind knowing that part/number is fitted to other VF wagons out there.
Although they didn't fit that sticker to my car at all... but it does contain the same info as the sticker on the towbar itself.
I dont suppose you have a photo of the towbar neck sticking out from your bumper at all?
I think you guys are right, it must be a new or revised part number potentially not updated in their system yet.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
Anyone recommend a non holden towbar to save a few dollars?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
@chrisp that is the same tow bar and tongue part number as fitted to my sedan which i listed in post 9.

So it seems the tow bars and tongues used on both sedans and wagons are the same part. Maybe this wasn't always the case. This could then explain why the neck sticks out a little more when used in the wagon as it could be manufactured a little longer to also accomodate the sedan bumper. Using a common parts between sedans and wagons could then save on stocking spares now that manufactureing has stopped :oops:

@abuch47 you should be able to pick up all the genuine bits needed from a wreckers yars checp, just get thwem from a car that has had the front smashed and no side damage from a jackknifed trailer :rolleyes:

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
thanks are the bolts holes all there?

Ive seen a VF maloo towbar is it the same?

someone is selling because it didnt bolt up to the VY.

love to do it myself and save 600

although invoice means tax claim as its work vehicle.

also is their a spot for a padlock so someone doesnt nick the hitch?

@chrisp that is the same tow bar and tongue part number as fitted to my sedan which i listed in post 9.

So it seems the tow bars and tongues used on both sedans and wagons are the same part. Maybe this wasn't always the case. This could then explain why the neck sticks out a little more when used in the wagon as it could be manufactured a little longer to also accomodate the sedan bumper. Using a common parts between sedans and wagons could then save on stocking spares now that manufactureing has stopped :oops:

@abuch47 you should be able to pick up all the genuine bits needed from a wreckers yars checp, just get thwem from a car that has had the front smashed and no side damage from a jackknifed trailer :rolleyes:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sorry @abuch47 i don’t know if the ute tow bar is the same as sedan or wagon. Also not sure if HSV and Holden tow bars are interchangeable. I’d guess it’s just the length of the neck that differed to cater for the different rear bumper profiles between brands & models.

The vehicle is already prepared with everything needed to simply bolt a tow bar to the frame. It’s not difficult but look at the VF WN accessories manual for installation instructions. Note that you will need the towbar module which installs near the battery then the vehicle needs to be programmed for a tow bar by Holden service department. All this has been discussed in other threads. See here for a start.