Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Toyota is Gone. Goodbye Australian Car industry 1896-2017.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST

Senator829

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 HSV Senator & 2012 RG Colorado LTZ
Low import tariffs, high aussie dollar, cost of labour high, lack of investment for years in manufacturing. Watch the unions and labor cry all this is the liberals fault. This has been coming for the last 20 years

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
lack of not being able to obtain a future model may also have had something to do with it seeing the camry was/is coming to the end of its life cycle.
the amount they used to export was pretty high.
would have been Head Toyota in Japan that made the call.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Copy and paste from the other thread in the pub since there's some people that think this wouldn't be pub chat at all...

Only a matter of time...

And that marks the end of Australian automotive manufacturing. Only the unions and the ALP are to blame.

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
The ALP isnt any more to blame than the Libs, or any other recent government. As stated, Japans decision, no one elses.
Although workers wages and over the top union demands havent helped.

nonricer

Reaction score
Members Ride
want to get a VE SERIES 2 SV6
unfortunately, it probably wont be long till the end of manufacturing in Australia.

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
I actually disagree on that statement. Listening to the radio the other day, and GE(I think) in the US is bringing its manufacturing back to the states from China, as the wages in China are increasing, and freight costs to get stuff back
to the US are getting to the point that with some new ideas, its just as cheap to produce in the states now.
Now if our companies tightened their belts, and used new ideas, no reason it couldnt happens here in the future.
Sorting out wages, and union rubbish is the 1st point.

zappaboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 Sportswagon, Motorsport Auto VE Ute
Please stop the crap about the unions and high cost of labour. What a load of crap. The cost of labour with the australian car industry is actually less than the US or EU countries. Of course compared to the Asian countries or in India they are high.

Poorly designed free trade agreements (try and sell an Australian built car in Thailand or Korea) and a lack of support from successive Australian Governments of both persuasions and at all 3 tiers of Government. The Federal and South Australian and Victorian Governments at least had policies in place to source local vehicles where applicable. In my local state (NSW), my local Police station has no less than 3 Hyundia cars all I think either i40 or i45. what a disgrace for a general duties car. A cruze or a camry would do that job as well or better and a Falcon XT or Commodore Evoke much better.

The ATO rules also encourage 4WD Utes and SUV and they could easily provide for a more favourable investment regime for local utes.

I also believe the marketing people at Ford and Holden did a very poor job in selling the Falcon and Commodore compared to any SUV.

It beats me why Ford took so long to bring out a diesel Territory and never rolled out one for the Falcon.

Again why did Ford stop production of the Falcon wagon when most of them were bought by Taxi's anyway.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Please stop the crap about the unions and high cost of labour. What a load of crap. The cost of labour with the australian car industry is actually less than the US or EU countries. Of course compared to the Asian countries or in India they are high.

Poorly designed free trade agreements (try and sell an Australian built car in Thailand or Korea) and a lack of support from successive Australian Governments of both persuasions and at all 3 tiers of Government. The Federal and South Australian and Victorian Governments at least had policies in place to source local vehicles where applicable. In my local state (NSW), my local Police station has no less than 3 Hyundia cars all I think either i40 or i45. what a disgrace for a general duties car. A cruze or a camry would do that job as well or better and a Falcon XT or Commodore Evoke much better.

The ATO rules also encourage 4WD Utes and SUV and they could easily provide for a more favourable investment regime for local utes.

I also believe the marketing people at Ford and Holden did a very poor job in selling the Falcon and Commodore compared to any SUV.

It beats me why Ford took so long to bring out a diesel Territory and never rolled out one for the Falcon.

Again why did Ford stop production of the Falcon wagon when most of them were bought by Taxi's anyway.

How much does the average production line worker make/year?

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
I know the exchange rate is not level at the moment, but when did $35 become the same or less than $10????

I have been told Toyota workers are on around $90,000 a year. Dont know if thats true, but wouldnt surprise me.