Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Toyota MR2 Engine Rebuild or Swap

bandit10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
made your mine up yet Mr indecisive.. ??? lol :p

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
made your mine up yet Mr indecisive.. ??? lol :p

Hey Buddy,

Thought I'd let you's know the outcome. After lots of thought and speaking to many different people. I got Osborne Motors to do a full rebuild of my N/A. I paid $3000 for the full rebuild - Rocker Cover to Sump. All I needed to pay was the Water Pump ($180). While the engine was out they had a look at the clutch and said It'd prob still have another 6months on it, so I got that replaced aswell ($320). So I paid a total of $3500 and I get it back today, took about 2 weeks.

So, I've paid $6500 for the car, and $3500 for the rebuild = $10,000 for fully rebuilt engine and new clutch and 2yrs warranty. I'll probably keep the car for 6-12months and then sell it. Buy a MR2 Turbo without the hassle of conversion.

bandit10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
lol good work. Did they find anything wrong with the bottom end?

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
lol good work. Did they find anything wrong with the bottom end?

I asked about the oil, said the oil control rings were non-existant and the stem valves were gone too.

Drove my car today, it's quite different driving it. Brand new clutch is...different... it's light. Not used to driving a new (reconditioned) engine and new clutch!

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
the cheapest option is to get a rear cut, 2k from this joint: 3SGTE MR2 MANUAL HALFCUT - Asian Auto Spares

2 seconds on google. all the wiring boxes/intercoolers etc are there, just take it out and put it in. a 2 day job in your backyard witha couple of brews/mates

edit* oh pooh, didnt realise there was page 5 :( soz

haha that's cool Ari666. Unfortunately I didnt google it :p I rang em up and everything. That was a Gen2 3SGTE halfcut. Gen3's are more expensive ~$3000, I would of went Gen3 instead of Gen2. But then I'd have to ship the half cut to PERTH !!! Which was going to be $600. I'm not very mechanical so I wouldn't be able to do the conversion myself. So I been quoted $2000 to do it.

So $2000 for conversion, $3300 (cheapest Gen3 3SGTE shipped from Japan but would get it end of June). =$5300 plus I don't know anything about the engine so engine might have problems.

So I just got the N/A rebuilt for $3000 + $500 for new water pump and clutch. Got 2yrs warranty. I'll keep this MR2 for 6-12months and then sell it and just buy a Gen3 MR2 - save the hassle :)

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
Gahh!!

Just read this whole thread, for some reason? :hmmm:

lmao, and I thought I was indecisive, DAM! :p Got whiplash going from idea to idea...
Good to hear its all sorted and you're happy with it :thumbsup:

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Gahh!!

Just read this whole thread, for some reason? :hmmm:

lmao, and I thought I was indecisive, DAM! :p Got whiplash going from idea to idea...
Good to hear its all sorted and you're happy with it :thumbsup:

Ye I didn't have a clue what to do. Would of liked a Turbo, but after searching google and ringing places it was just going to cost too much cause I'm not very mechanical minded and none of my friends are either. Also the fact I live in WA makes it more difficult, I couldn't see the engine, I couldn't speak to them apart from over the phone, and there was nothing in WA!

Now when I think about it, the N/A was the better choice. I sit in 2hrs of peak hour traffic a day. I've got a fully rebuilt engine with 2yrs warranty - it'll be easy to sell later.