Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Toyota MR2 Engine Rebuild or Swap

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Toyota sounds like they have a clue. Get yourself a service manual and see for yourself whether the engine has to come out.

Hmm Toyota may have a clue, but they wanted to charge me $1000 to get just my timing belt changed. Automasters wanted $450 to change it.

Toyota Major Service by Big Rock Toyota.
Major Service - $250 (Had to pay)
Timing Belt - $957
4 Disc Mach - $432 (went to get done at AutoMasters, told me they were really good - didn't need doing - paid $50 to AutoMasters and left)
A/C Dye - $288
Throttle Body Service - $170 (I got this done - didn't know what it was)
Upper Cylinder Head Service - $190 (Got this done too)
Battery - $110
Spark Plugs - $138 (done it myself <$50)
Wiper Inserts - $60

Last edited:

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
How about going to Automasters and getting a quote for a new head gasket, valves, stem seals?

I always thought timing belts were around $600-$900, so you might get a pleasant surprise.

Sorry remembered something else. When I asked to get the Discs Skimmed also asked them to do the Stem Seals. Think for both was going to be ~$500, but he didn't have the tools to be able to do the stem seals with the head on, he had to make something. But then he said he doesn't think it's going to fix it, so I didn't go ahead with it. Isn't a head gasket going to require the removal of the head? make sure it's skimmed? if its not flat - isn't that mostly a head recon anyway? Whats left after the stem seals, valves, gasket? and skimming if necessary?

Edit: I mean there is ALOT of smoke coming from the exhaust. In my old VS Calais I had a small leak, so only little bit of coolant was burnt (lost little coolant & exhaust was moist). This is like theres no gasket left!

Last edited:

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Sorry remembered something else. When I asked to get the Discs Skimmed also asked them to do the Stem Seals. Think for both was going to be ~$500, but he didn't have the tools to be able to do the stem seals with the head on, he had to make something. But then he said he doesn't think it's going to fix it, so I didn't go ahead with it. Isn't a head gasket going to require the removal of the head? make sure it's skimmed? if its not flat - isn't that mostly a head recon anyway? Whats left after the stem seals, valves, gasket? and skimming if necessary?

Edit: I mean there is ALOT of smoke coming from the exhaust. In my old VS Calais I had a small leak, so only little bit of coolant was burnt (lost little coolant & exhaust was moist). This is like theres no gasket left!

Yeah pretty much, you need the head machined to get it perfectly flat before you refit it with the head gasket. Full head recon might also involve new springs, cams and rocker arms which will pretty quickly push the cost up.

Blown head gasket would mean water is getting into the bores, not oil, so the oil is either coming through the valves via the stem seals or getting past the rings.

Are you sure about the compression figures and what the factory specs are?

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Are you sure about the compression figures and what the factory specs are?

I got Hi Flow Reconditioning to do the Compression Test. So unless they didn't do it or screwed up then the stated psi is correct.
The factory specs I specified is also correct, according to the Toyota manual for my particular engine.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Here is a copy/paste out of my Toyota Manual

Attachments

• 3S-GE.JPG
    3S-GE.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 158

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Come to think of it, your rings indeed may be stuffed.

The manual states 178psi or more, with a minimum of 142psi.

The readings taken by the workshop (145-150psi) would be pretty much borderline, especially given that the second hand engine you enquired about had over 200psi compression. Was that the turbo motor that had over 200psi?

bandit10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
round and round we go... lol

Just buy a new motor and have done with it.

If the beams engine comes with gearbox ecu exhaust and loom go for it!

Good luck......

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Come to think of it, your rings indeed may be stuffed.

The manual states 178psi or more, with a minimum of 142psi.

The readings taken by the workshop (145-150psi) would be pretty much borderline, especially given that the second hand engine you enquired about had over 200psi compression. Was that the turbo motor that had over 200psi?

Wow.... I gotta read it properly... I was whinging because he didn't say what the compression was... but he did... I read the 210 as kw/hp or watever. not 210psi all round compression.

Gen 2 turbo engine has 210 psi compression on all 4 95,000 kms 60 day warranty, comes as complete engine with turbo manifolds injectors alternator a/c comp p/s pump loom ecu afm. $1600 + Shipping to Perth.

Edit: Do you think it's a worked engine? 210psi all round.... my manual for rev1/2 has standard 164psi. Unless it's a rev 3 engine which has higher psi from memory.