Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

TPMS showing low pressure FLH wheel. MY17 SSV SPORTSWAGON.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
No, I skipped it because you weren't able to provide any info yourself either, and it was pointless calling you out as not knowing what you were talking about 'cos that was pretty obvious so it was going to be pointless friction I was going to cause.

No, that was me looking for clarification, because you had said it was totally illegal to put a plug in a tyre.
I had already stated earlier in the thread that it'd been many years since I'd had it done. Rules change. I don't know the current rules (or didn't when this thread started).

I honestly don't know what you're going on about, rather than needing to rant?

I would suggest that to do it in NSW, the hole has to be within the tread-face, and one needs to remove the tyre & use the proper type of plug.
And it's not totally illegal in NSW.

I provided information which you preceded to call a load of it....I asked for your input how it was to be done and even now you can't.

So best you cut your crap

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Interesting ........... that is how I had a screw puncture repaired about a year ago. The tyre was not removed.
I complained a few weeks later that it was still loosing air, and asked them to take the tyre off, and put a patch on the inside, which they reluctantly did, but did not charge me for the second (successful) repair.

The main reason a tyre is removed is to inspect for internal sidewall damage.....It only takes a few minutes for a tyre with a puncture running around the 10 to 15 PSI to start having internal signs of sidewall damage, which aren't visible from the outside. With the lower profile tyres, which are common place these days, picking up a tyre is punctured is more difficult than the older higher profile tyres.

That place shouldn't have charged you for the second repair.....I hope you don't go back to them again for any tyre work, as to me it shows laziness and lack of care for you or other road users safety

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
To summarise
Repair of punctures in tubeless tyres by insertion of plugs
or loops of adhesive, or sealant impregnated cord, without
removing the tyre from the rim is not a satisfactory procedure.

If the tyre is suitable for repair, the area to be repaired must
then be properly prepared on the inside of the tyre and
an appropriate patch or mushroom headed plug installed

This is what I had already written, so it is great you have confirmed the exact thing I have done :)

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
The main reason a tyre is removed is to inspect for internal sidewall damage.....It only takes a few minutes for a tyre with a puncture running around the 10 to 15 PSI to start having internal signs of sidewall damage, which aren't visible from the outside.

I am one of the rare breed that checks their tyres visually before driving, and for pressure every couple of weeks, (experience and retirement help there) so if the pressure gauge shows a drop of > 5psi a couple of times on the same tyre, something is wrong. Small 12V/240V tyre inflaters are not expensive, and should be part of a home toolkit.
Of course all this is old school, and roadside service, run flats and cans of goo make precautionary maintenance redundant.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I am one of the rare breed that checks their tyres visually before driving, and for pressure every couple of weeks, (experience and retirement help there) so if the pressure gauge shows a drop of > 5psi a couple of times on the same tyre, something is wrong. Small 12V/240V tyre inflaters are not expensive, and should be part of a home toolkit.
Of course all this is old school, and roadside service, run flats and cans of goo make precautionary maintenance redundant.

I'm like you I have plenty of time to check tyres and do it regularly and every time if the car hasn't driven for a while, I use my compressor which makes it very quick and easy.

You still need to check runflats for damage and inflation in the same way as a normal tyre as they only reduce the chances of a total blowout and/or allow you to slowly get home or to the closest tyre shop if the damage isn't too great then you throw them away and buy a replacement.

TPMS is vital with runflats as far as I'm concerned as sometimes you can't visually see or feel if you have a slow leak from a nail or something similar.

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
"narcissist" lol you clearly do not understand the definition.

it is good to see that instead of being a donut and posting a nonsensical comment that added nothing you decided to redeem yourself and add to the thread.
the question remains...

do you still think this forum "has turned to absolute garbage" because people are discussing a flat tyre?
if you do then you clearly do not understand the point of this forum.
I'm not about to take lessons in forum etiquette from someone who throws stones in glass houses.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I'm not about to take lessons in forum etiquette from someone who throws stones in glass houses.

Its ok donkey because nobody asked you to :D

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I provided information which you preceded to call a load of it....I asked for your input how it was to be done and even now you can't.
No, as I said more than once, you point blank said it was illegal to use a plug to repair a tyre. I've also quoted EXACTLY what you said, more than once.
You then, in either the same paragraph or sentence, described how to legally use a plug to repair a tyre.

Do you not see how it is IMPOSSIBLE to legally use a plug to repair a tyre when it is illegal to use a plug to repair a tyre?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The comment from @vc commodore that “no passenger tyre can be legally plugged“ is both correct and incorrect. However, I suspect any contention is more an issue of terminology causing misunderstanding than anything else..

I took it that “plugged” meant those rope tyre plugs which are inserted from the outside of the tyre and should only be used as an emergency or temporary repair. Such plugs are legal if used for that purpose. A permanent repair requires "mushroom type plugs which can only be inserted from the inside of the tyre and only within the main tread ares after inspection for any internal damage shows none. As is, what is an allowable permanant repair is clearly defined within an industry standard and especially clear within the VicRoads doc I linked to.

The more contentious part of the statement is the the term “illegal”, which may be taken as something not done according to an industry standards. That could be seen as correct by some as failing to abide by an industry standard has consequences with some weight of law behind it. In that context, which is a loose interpretation of legal, can indeed mean rope plugs are illegal.

But, i prefer "legal" to be interpreted in a strict definition with respect to law. As yet, I haven't found any legislation that defines such rope plugs as illegal. And as industry codes use wishy washy terms like "should not" rather than clear unambiguous terms on sees in legislation like "must not", I prefer to see it as "plugs are not recommended" rather than "illegal". Some may see that as a little on the pedantic side which is why I said "both correct and incorrect" in my 1st paragraph above.

In any case many 4x4’s carry those rope type tyre repair kits and use them as emergency or temporary repair to get them back to civilisation where a permanent fix can be applied or a new tyre bought... Supposedly they work well but I wouldn't trust them long term. Any businesses that uses such rope plugs as a permanent repair, if they understand their legal liability in doing such and like to keep their assets safe from lawsuites, they’d stay away from such rope plug repairs as well.

Sadly, what is without a doubt is that there are a large number of dodgy businesses out their doing the wrong thing. For one, I’m happy such industry codes exist and industry codes of practice are somewhat backed up in law (as is quality of service provisions within ACL) BUT I’d prefer the unambiguous clarity of legislation.

So lets not get caught up too much in definitions as rope type plug repairs should be avoided unless no other choice is available and your stuck in woop woop or up ship creek....

The best repair is always a new tyre... especially in a performance sedan ;) I‘d think/hope forum members would all agree on that :cool:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Here’s dodgy brothers tyre shop where Vladimer is doing a repair on the sidewall of a tyre... Wouldn’t be allowed acceptable here but even if it was, cleanliness is lacking so it‘s still a video of what not to do :eek:
Haven't found the corresponding crash video of the car it was fitted on :p

Last edited: