Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

TPMS showing low pressure FLH wheel. MY17 SSV SPORTSWAGON.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
No, as I said more than once, you point blank said it was illegal to use a plug to repair a tyre. I've also quoted EXACTLY what you said, more than once.
You then, in either the same paragraph or sentence, described how to legally use a plug to repair a tyre.

Do you not see how it is IMPOSSIBLE to legally use a plug to repair a tyre when it is illegal to use a plug to repair a tyre?

Here you are quoting this stuff, but you refuse to state how the legal way is to repair a tyre in NSW....Why? Do you know or are you just putting this crap up for the heck of it? I personally think you are full of crap and are showing it with every reply by dodging the question.

So either put up or shut up...Which is it going to be?

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Here you are quoting this stuff, but you refuse to state how the legal way is to repair a tyre in NSW....Why?
Great Jumping Jehosophat, how can you NOT GET IT?!

Do I need to say it AGAIN?!

No, eff it, it's too hard ... I'm out.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Interestingly ADR95 makes references to many other standards and industry codes (from around the globe) and many of these would speak to in service tyre repair and tyre retreading. But I haven’t followed the document chain see exactly how things are expressed w.r.t in service tyre repair (some standards aren’t to be purchased... a disgusting way to write laws...).

Likely there are many inconsistencies between all the ADR95 references... It may be in some of these, even rope type plug repairs are permissible as we can’t base law on one industry code down under....

Law is messy, at times real messy, so saying something is illegal because it’s not recommended in an industry code may not actually make it illegal... which is the point made by @Forg and I agree with him... For legal clarity, you need to dive down into ADR95 and it’s references and likely look at other legislation around tyre industry mandatory codes of practice (as compared to voluntary codes of practice)...

Even if not illegal, would I use a rope type repair? Definitely NO... Would I use a mushroom plug repair after dismounting and inspecting the tyre? Yes but only on my daily which only sees city traffic but it depends on how much tread was left and whether the plugged tyre can become the spare. On my Motorsport which occasional sees high speed blasts and high cornering loads? definitely NO...

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Here you are quoting this stuff, but you refuse to state how the legal way is to repair a tyre in NSW....Why? Do you know or are you just putting this crap up for the heck of it? I personally think you are full of crap and are showing it with every reply by dodging the question.

So either put up or shut up...Which is it going to be?

Maybe you could go back and re-read some of your posts.....

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
and here I thought I'd put this to bed..

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Here’s dodgy brothers tyre shop where Vladimer is doing a repair on the sidewall of a tyre... Wouldn’t be allowed acceptable here but even if it was, cleanliness is lacking so it‘s still a video of what not to do :eek:
Haven't found the corresponding crash video of the car it was fitted on :p

Very neat job. But, really, he should have fitted the tyre with the repair on the inside for aesthetic purposes.
Would have been a OHS pass mark if he had worn gloves for the whole job, and quick spray with some SCA tyre gloss would have completed it nicely.
Will look forward to your research into resultant corresponding car crash video. :)

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Great Jumping Jehosophat, how can you NOT GET IT?!

Do I need to say it AGAIN?!

No, eff it, it's too hard ... I'm out.

No I don't....What's so hard about YOU posting up how to repair a tyre in NSW?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Interestingly ADR95 makes references to many other standards and industry codes (from around the globe) and many of these would speak to in service tyre repair and tyre retreading. But I haven’t followed the document chain see exactly how things are expressed w.r.t in service tyre repair (some standards aren’t to be purchased... a disgusting way to write laws...).

Likely there are many inconsistencies between all the ADR95 references... It may be in some of these, even rope type plug repairs are permissible as we can’t base law on one industry code down under....

Law is messy, at times real messy, so saying something is illegal because it’s not recommended in an industry code may not actually make it illegal... which is the point made by @Forg and I agree with him... For legal clarity, you need to dive down into ADR95 and it’s references and likely look at other legislation around tyre industry mandatory codes of practice (as compared to voluntary codes of practice)...

Even if not illegal, would I use a rope type repair? Definitely NO... Would I use a mushroom plug repair after dismounting and inspecting the tyre? Yes but only on my daily which only sees city traffic but it depends on how much tread was left and whether the plugged tyre can become the spare. On my Motorsport which occasional sees high speed blasts and high cornering loads? definitely NO...

The problem is, if a tyre fails due to improper repairs, it can cause an accident.....Very much like having an accident whereby they determine that the tyres had insufficient tread in the wet and caused the accident...

If someone was to end up in hospital or worse, what would happen to the driver of the vehicle? If a tyre failed as a result of am improper repair and someone was to end up in hospital or worse, what would happen to that person?

Just another area to consider

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
The problem is, if a tyre fails due to improper repairs, it can cause an accident.....Very much like having an accident whereby they determine that the tyres had insufficient tread in the wet and caused the accident...

If someone was to end up in hospital or worse, what would happen to the driver of the vehicle? If a tyre failed as a result of am improper repair and someone was to end up in hospital or worse, what would happen to that person?

Just another area to consider

Your hypothetical is in the same league as people who have accidents due to the failure of shoddy, unsafe or illegal mechanical work and mods done on their vehicles, if an accident happens the cause is rarely addressed or litigated.

It can be something as simple as lowering or adding power while neglecting to strengthen or adjust other areas to make up for the changes.

The number of owners who fit cheap tyres to their vehicles amazes me and even more so when their vehicle has considerable power and come fitted with better performing tyres from the factory, they take the cheap option so I’m sure there are many out there that do the same when it comes to tyre repair and they chance the toss of the coin.

People who let their tyres deteriorate beyond the wear indicators are just as unsafe on the road and also put everyone around them at risk.

The thread is quite long now with on-one adding anything new and the members reading the posts will have already taken their side of the argument and those arguing are not about to concede so maybe it’s time to give it a rest.

Regardless of the safety issues bought up in this thread, there will be people willing to take cheap options on a wide range of car related matters and hope for the best and the rights and wrong of tyre repair are one of them and if there is no clear and concise legislation in place to govern the issue then who's right and who's going to stop them?