Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

TPMS showing low pressure FLH wheel. MY17 SSV SPORTSWAGON.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The problem is, if a tyre fails due to improper repairs, it can cause an accident.....Very much like having an accident whereby they determine that the tyres had insufficient tread in the wet and caused the accident...

If someone was to end up in hospital or worse, what would happen to the driver of the vehicle? If a tyre failed as a result of am improper repair and someone was to end up in hospital or worse, what would happen to that person?

Just another area to consider
I don’t think the long debate has been about what is a safe tyre repair as most would recognise fixing a hole in a tyre sidewall is a dangerous proposition at best...

The debate has been around the fact you’ve stated it’s illegal to do a plug repair but you haven’t pointed to legislation to back it up... You want others to state what is a safe repair rather than you tell us why it’s actually illegal (like a link to legislation). In doing so you flip the discussion to one of safety which doesn‘t resolve the issue of illegality (which seems the point of contention). As is, others can’t point to a non existent legislation to prove their point. The current legal situation in terms of in service tyre repair is really messy while the safety side of the equation is clear.

It would have been prudent for you to simply acknowledge that it may not be explicitly illegal to use an external plug type repair BUT that it is against industry standards and the contention within the thread would abate...

As a side note, law is funny/strange... Loosing a case doesn’t set precedence, so a tyre shop could loose and pay out on a dodgy tyre repair but such tyre repairs aren’t illegal...

If only all businesses followed industry standards and manufacturer recommendations there would be less risk on our roads... but they don’t... dodgy brothers live on and their incompetence for the most simply blends into normal road crashes as when people aren’t injured the police don’t care...

Again as a side, many/most/all tyre places don’t replace those TTY strut bolts on our VFs when loosening them during a wheel alignment to fiddle with camber. Who knows, maybe in another few years struts and knuckles start to separate and the industry updates its code of conduct :p

Mookie01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commodore executive series 2
I ... I don't want to be an arsehole & tell you something when it's too late to do anything about it ... PLUS my information could be old, so you can't take what I say as gospel.

However, every time I've ever had a screw or a nail in a tyre, they've use a specially-designed plug and it's cost me only about $50-$80 or thereabouts. Because if you drive like my wife does, you'd get another 20k+ km's out of those front tyres, which is ... what, about $300's worth?

Given you're driving what's probably a ~$60k car which uses just fuel at ~20c/km, that ~$200 isn't worth worrying about that much; but maybe just something to remember in future. :)
And as I said, my info's old, and maybe lower profile tyres can't be plugged the way you used to be able to do them.
Can I add to that a specially designed plug ?? Ha yeah no you can fix any tyre with a puncture with a $10 puncture repair kit bought online, and it takes 10 minutes doing it yourself to repair any puncture

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
but there is legislation in place?

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
Can I add to that a specially designed plug ?? Ha yeah no you can fix any tyre with a puncture with a $10 puncture repair kit bought online, and it takes 10 minutes doing it yourself to repair any puncture
thats unroadworthy..