Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

TPMS showing low pressure FLH wheel. MY17 SSV SPORTSWAGON.

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
Don’t worry about it @stooge, he drives an EA Falcon :p

(tongue in cheek comment @Keesh so don’t get knickers in a knott)
You actually think I drive a Falcon? That's amusing. Clearly I'm taking the piss

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Is this plug-illegality a South Australian thing?

I can’t find any rules for NSW that say it’s illegal OR legal, but the NSW RMS guideline on replacement wheels & tyres from 2019 says damaged tyres must be “replaced or repaired” (and I can’t think of other ways you can repair a tyre?) and there’s a Bob Jane T-Marts website page from 2019 that also talks about repairing tyres if it’s deemed possible (and a large chain like that would be very wary of saying/recommending something illegal).

So what does this guideline from the various places say is acceptable as a repair method? Do these guidelines stipulate how to determine if a tyre is deemed repairable or not? Do these guidelines stipulate how to go about a tyre repair outside the state of NSW even if the car in question registered in NSW and happens to get a puncture out of that state?

You can use that repair in a can crap...You can use a rope plug...You can use a patch inside the tyre...Or you can use a mushroom plug..

I have written the way the acceptable Australian standard way is to repair tyres...

I would also ask you, would you prefer a tyre to be inspected by stripping it off, to ensure there is no signs of damage to the side wall inside prior to repairing it or would you prefer it to be just plugged up and send you on the way?

Last edited:

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
My comment was relevant.
TPMS tells OP his pessures low, OP attempts to correct pressure, pressure drops again.. OP's first instinct is to create a profile to ask people online who cant even see the tyre what the problem is rather than seeing one of a million tyre shops?

If I'm the village idiot for pointing that out then my comment is not only relevant its validated.

You keep telling yourself that you donut

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Ill help you all out in regard to tyre repair. The centre 75% of the total tread can be repaired if the puncture will take the plug (mushroom plug from inside, not rope). In most cases the puncture is enlarged to accomodate the plug anyway so bolt, screw, nail its irrelevant as long as it can be opened up with and cleaned. The remaining section of the shoulder can not be repaired, (not to say people dont) Run flat tyres can not be repaired (again not to say people don't) Its always going to come down to the individual as to whether they feel it acceptable and safe to carry out a repair

If a tyre fails because a place hasn't performed a satisfactory repair as outlined, damage caused to that car and/or driver makes the place that repaired the offending tyre liable for those damages....

By putting up the correct way to have a tyre repaired helps others avoid the shonky places that choose the quick easy method......And generally those sorts of places pack up and move on frequently, which then leaves the owners in the lurch

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Maybe this is for SA only, not false in Vic....

So with the PDF @Skylarking placed up in relation to tyre repairs in Vic , it appears to back up the way I have described to do a repair.

It also appears from what you have written, the way the PDF and I have described is false by your accounts, so how would be the appropriate way to repair a tyre in VIC?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
You actually think I drive a Falcon? That's amusing. Clearly I'm taking the piss
Humour doesn’t convey as well in written form as it does in person where farcical facial expressions and other cues aid the receiver of your humour.... Best to help the reader in some way if your being continually misunderstood ...

And though I saw you indicate you're from Bevearly Hills and drive a EA Falcon, which in this connected world may mean you use to drive Fords, and now live in the USA, you failed to see the emoji In my post or the comment that it was tongue in cheek... :rolleyes: (we need a face palm emoji)

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
So with the PDF @Skylarking placed up in relation to tyre repairs in Vic , it appears to back up the way I have described to do a repair.

It also appears from what you have written, the way the PDF and I have described is false by your accounts, so how would be the appropriate way to repair a tyre in VIC?

WTF are you on about?
It is legal to repair damage from a screw or nail in Vic.
I never stated anything about the repair process, you just assumed the tire would be plugged from the outside.
I've had 2 tires plugged from screws, both were demounted and inspected before an allowable repair.
I had a bolt pierce a front tire on the Magnum, after inspection the damage was too severe for repair, so had to replace it.
The 3 tires were all damaged in the crown only, no sidewall damage...

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I have written the way the acceptable Australian standard way is to repair tyres...
You said it was totally illegal to do at all, and then you said how it should legally be done.
How can you have a way to do it legally when you're saying it's totally illegal to do?