Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

TPMS showing low pressure FLH wheel. MY17 SSV SPORTSWAGON.

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
Humour doesn’t convey as well in written form as it does in person where farcical facial expressions and other cues aid the receiver of your humour.... Best to help the reader in some way if your being continually misunderstood ...

And though I saw you indicate you're from Bevearly Hills and drive a EA Falcon, which in this connected world may mean you use to drive Fords, and now live in the USA, you failed to see the emoji In my post or the comment that it was tongue in cheek... :rolleyes: (we need a face palm emoji)
If a tyre fails because a place hasn't performed a satisfactory repair as outlined, damage caused to that car and/or driver makes the place that repaired the offending tyre liable for those damages....

By putting up the correct way to have a tyre repaired helps others avoid the shonky places that choose the quick easy method......And generally those sorts of places pack up and move on frequently, which then leaves the owners in the lurch
I totally agree, which is why the rule on shoulder repair and run flat repair is an industry standard, whether its published or not im not sure..
I believe the choice whether to repair vs replace should remain at the discretion of the Tyre fitter, especially if they are to be held liable. Im not sure if VACC has anything on the subject?

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
Many industry practices aren't published for the public though. It all comes down to taking the vehicle to an accredited repairer. For example how many backyard mechanics adhere to replacing stretch bolts? They're rolling the same pair of dice in my book

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Many industry practices aren't published for the public though. It all comes down to taking the vehicle to an accredited repairer. For example how many backyard mechanics adhere to replacing stretch bolts? They're rolling the same pair of dice in my book
This is very true; although, as a result of money- and time-savings in what’s not a high-dollar industry, I find it hard to find a repairer I can actually trust. They’re pretty much all accredited, but for example whether they actually fit a new set of bolts when they replace the heads ... a workmate had an engine-failure due to what has been diagnosed as oil starvation, because he had aftermarket engine-management it wasn’t under warranty (even though aftermarket engine-management can’t affect oil supply), and it just so happens the dealer actually printed on his invoices that they’d used 20W50 when the car’s supposed to use 0W30 so he got kinda lucky.

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
dodgy people in all industries when it comes down to it, I believe it has a generational aspect to it as well, they no longer value knowledge or workmanship. I saw the decline of Holdens dealership standards happening right in front of me in the short space of 5 years. They just didnt want to pay the experienced guys more than 50k.. grown men with families.. how can you take pride in your work for that?

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
If people are going to be tight asses or call people rip off because they charge more than habibs motors.
then yes you get what you pay for.

I feel like people in this post are probing into official tyre repair guidlines simply because they're looking for something, anything, to justify their wanting to use DIY repco rope kit

for those people I say go for your life, Its clearly not worth saving

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
If people are going to be tight asses or call people rip off because they charge more than habibs motors.
then yes you get what you pay for.
I can’t disagree ... and it’s a general thing.
Hello, Rise Of China. “It’s so cheap, surely it can’t be that bad!”

I feel like people in this post are probing into official tyre repair guidlines simply because they're looking for something, anything, to justify their wanting to use DIY repco rope kit

for those people I say go for your life, Its clearly not worth saving
I don’t quite get that from this thread.
Tyre Retailer didn’t even mention the possibility for repair, and they make more for the sale of a tyre compared to a repair due to reduced labour; that’s what this thread became about, the possibility that maybe it could’ve been repaired & ~$300 could’ve been saved.

Then a bloke who works in the tyre industry came along & said all repairs using a plug were illegal; people (eg. me) questioned that & went looking for info.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
dodgy people in all industries when it comes down to it, I believe it has a generational aspect to it as well, they no longer value knowledge or workmanship. I saw the decline of Holdens dealership standards happening right in front of me in the short space of 5 years. They just didnt want to pay the experienced guys more than 50k.. grown men with families.. how can you take pride in your work for that?

Sorry put the pay packet shouldn't have a bearing on your workmanship....

If you expect a big pay packet in exchange for top workmanship, you shouldn't be working in that industry...Period

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
You said it was totally illegal to do at all, and then you said how it should legally be done.
How can you have a way to do it legally when you're saying it's totally illegal to do?

So where have I said that? I have quoted the legal way to do it and this legal way to do it has been backed up via another member/s...But of course this other member/s must be wrong too...

Where are the answers to my questions of you in the last post this quote came from? Have you got any? Perhaps you should speak to your suspension guys before answering them and see what they have to say first

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I totally agree, which is why the rule on shoulder repair and run flat repair is an industry standard, whether its published or not im not sure..
I believe the choice whether to repair vs replace should remain at the discretion of the Tyre fitter, especially if they are to be held liable. Im not sure if VACC has anything on the subject?

They are published but can't remember where abouts unfortunately, otherwise I would post them up for others benefits.

Really there is no discretion in relation to repairs.....The repairs must be done as I have described previously and if the tyre has signs of stress to the sidewall as a result of running under inflated too long or the puncture falls out of the repair zone, the tyre must be scrapped....Someones life relies on these permetres to be adheared to...

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
WTF are you on about?
It is legal to repair damage from a screw or nail in Vic.
I never stated anything about the repair process, you just assumed the tire would be plugged from the outside.
I've had 2 tires plugged from screws, both were demounted and inspected before an allowable repair.
I had a bolt pierce a front tire on the Magnum, after inspection the damage was too severe for repair, so had to replace it.
The 3 tires were all damaged in the crown only, no sidewall damage...

WTF were you on about stating " Maybe this is for SA only, not false in Vic.... " then?