Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

TPS and Code 22 VR SS

mectec

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS S2
I have started getting code 22 with the engine light on (Position Sensor (TPS) - Voltage Too Low - Auto Transmission Only) but my car is manual and I have tried 3 different TPS's and all the same code repeats. The engine light does turn off on at odd times. Also the car is idling rough and after 3-5 mins will stall.

Anyone had this problem..... :)

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
DTC 22 applies to both manual and auto vehicles. If you are still getting the code after trying three different TPS's (and I presume you mean new ones not used ones) then the problem could be in the wiring or maybe you have lost the small plastic piece in the throttle body when you replaced the TPS. Did you take the throttle body off to replace the TPS or did you try and replace it with the throttle body still in place? Some info on DTC 22 below:

DTC22 V8 ECM - THROTTLE POSITION (SIGNAL VOLTAGE LOW)
Circuit Description:
The Throttle Position (TP) sensor is attached to the throttle body, and is internally rotated by the throttle body shaft. It is a potentiometer with one end connected to 5 volts from the ECM and the other to ECM earth. A third wire is connected to the ECM, allowing it to measure the variable output voltage from the TP sensor.
As the throttle valve angle is changed (accelerator pedal moved), the TP sensor output voltage also changes in proportion. At a closed throttle position, the output voltage is usually below 1.25 volts as the throttle valve opens, the output increases so that at wide-open throttle, the output should be above 4.0 volts. By monitoring the output voltage from the TP sensor, the ECM can determine fuel needs based on throttle opening (driver demand).
A broken or loose TP sensor, or one that has an unstable output can cause intermittent bursts of fuel because the ECM thinks the throttle is moving. Results could include engine surge or poor idle quality. If the ECM interprets a high voltage when engine RPM is less than 400, hard starting could be the result (Clear-flood mode). A problem in any of the TP sensor circuits will set either a DTC 21 or DTC 22 after the engine is started. Once a DTC is set the ECM will use an artificial default value for TP sensor based on MAP and engine RPM to enable the vehicle to be driven, although performance could be less than normal.
The TP sensor is not adjustable. The ECM records the TP sensor voltage reading at idle and uses this as 0% throttle, so no adjustment is necessary.
DTC 22 will set if the TP sensor signal input voltage is less than about 0.2 volts for two seconds.

showtime

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 5.0l
Ok I'm having problems with my vs calais v8 auto shifting very strange. When you first start it and drive, it is fine. Changes beautiful and drops back gears when ever asked to. Once been driving for around 3 to 5 mins it starts playing up. Won't drop back gears, holds gears way to long and slams the next gear. I have replaced tps twice with no luck. It was logging code 19, tps stuck at full throttle. the other strange thing that it does is if i put the foot into it, It changes gears early and won't rev out. After speaking with my local auto guy, he tells me that they use 2 sensors to shift the auto, a speed sensor on tailshaft and the throttle position sensor. So it will have to be one of these causing my problem. He then went on to tell me that he thinks my tps will need adjusting as it could be outside of the voltage reading needed for the computer to give correct shifts. After reading this thread I have noticed that it says the tps is not adjustable. If this is the case and I have also checked if there are any other tps's that would fit my car (to make sure I installed the right one) then my problem is pointing towards a faulty computer. Am I wrong?

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Did you install the TPS correctly? Did you replace the drive adapter (small plastic piece in the throttle body)? Have you checked that the TPS moves smoothly when the accelerator is pressed?

Attachments

• TPS Removal-Replace V6.jpg
    TPS Removal-Replace V6.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 2,749

showtime

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 5.0l
yes, done exactly that. Has made no diference between the original tps, the new one I tried and the second new one (just to make sure I didn't get a faulty one).
to give another example, tonight I came out of a corner (slowly) and then give it full throttle and held it there. It changed gears early and was in top gear by around 90kmh. Just like you were easing the throttle on but under alot more load, as I was at full throttle. When I ease the throttle on ever so softly it doesn't change. Holds every gear until it gets to what I have been told are the speed sensor shift points. Like if I ease it on out of a corner and changes to second then I come to a round about and back off it will stay in second like when you hold back the gears manually and have to let the engine catch back up to revs before you get any drive.

This problem is driving me insane, i am so f#*kn sick of it. I'm gunna burn it if I don't get to the bottom of it soon, this car has given me nothing but headaches