Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tr6060 gearbox oil? Bearing noises?

Shar3e

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ss
My 2014 vf ss is going back into the gearbox shop today. Been doing a bit of reading up on the penrite pro gear 70w-75. Has anyone changed there's over to this, is it worth doing?
Bit of background, I had a bearing noise when car was in neutral, as soon as id push the clutch in the noise would go away, had 3 different mechanics tell me it was a throw out bearing, I still had the stick clutch in so while I had the box out I upgraded the clutch to a exedy heavy duty, and converted to a solid fly wheel. Of course I got it back and the bearing noise was still there. Done a bit of my own research, come to find the noise is more likely to be a input shaft bearing as throw out bearings only make noise when the clutch is pushed in not out. Took it to a box shop, the guy had a listen took it for a drive said it was definitely a bearing in the box, quoted me 1300-1800 for a complete bearing kit with me having the box pulled out and delivered to him. He called me and said he got away with doing a minor bearing kit? 3 bearings were replaced. I paid 1300. Got the box put back in.. bearing noise still there, now it won't go into 4th gear properly and pops out. I've called him back up, told him about 4th gear, he said I can take it back in and he will fix it, when I told him the bearin noise was still there, he is now saying it is most likely gear noise? It does not make the noise in gear.. Only neutral and disappears with clutch in. I'm fuming. I've now spent 2 and a half grand on a new clutch and a further 1300 on box work for the noise to still be there, a long with days at a time without a car . Going in this arvo to drop it off and have a talk. Just wondering if I should drop off the penrite oil for him to put that back in? Any advice or what not. Thankss

Shar3e

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ss
My 2014 vf ss is going back into the gearbox shop today. Been doing a bit of reading up on the penrite pro gear 70w-75. Has anyone changed there's over to this, is it worth doing?
Bit of background, I had a bearing noise when car was in neutral, as soon as id push the clutch in the noise would go away, had 3 different mechanics tell me it was a throw out bearing, I still had the stock clutch in, so I upgraded the clutch to a exedy heavy duty, and converted to a solid fly wheel, throw out bearing was replaced. Of course I got it back and the bearing noise was still there. Done a bit of my own research, come to find the noise is more likely to be a input shaft bearing as throw out bearings only make noise when the clutch is pushed in not out. Took it to a box shop, the guy had a listen took it for a drive said it was definitely a bearing in the box, quoted me 1300-1800 to assess it and for a complete bearing kit with me having the box pulled out and delivered to him. He called me and said he got away with doing a minor bearing kit? Gears looked perfect, 3 bearings were replaced. I paid 1300. Got the box put back in.. bearing noise still there, now it won't go into 4th gear properly and pops out. I've called him back up, told him about 4th gear, he said I can take it back in and he will fix it, when I told him the bearing noise was still there, he is now saying it is most likely gear noise? It does not make the noise in gear.. Only neutral and disappears with clutch in. I'm fuming. I've now spent 2 and a half grand on a new clutch and a further 1300 on box work for the noise to still be there, a long with days at a time without a car . Going in this arvo to drop it off again and have a talk. Any advice on the bearing noise? Do i have a leg to stand on, i dropped it to him with him having the knowledge of the noise i wanted fixed. Also Just wondering if I should drop off the penrite oil for him to put that back in? Any advice or what not. Thanks

villn808

Reaction score
Members Ride
I use it. I occasionally had trouble shifting from 1st-2nd when cold, no trouble now.

I changed to the pro gear, did 1000kms, then dropped it and replaced to completely get rid of the ATF.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
You paid for a box to be repaired due to noise, he diagnosed the problem as definitely a bearing and it hasn't been fixed, that would be my starting point with him.

I'd expect them to come to the party and help you out now that they have wasted your money the first time around.

Shar3e

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ss
You paid for a box to be repaired due to noise, he diagnosed the problem as definitely a bearing and it hasn't been fixed, that would be my starting point with him.

I'd expect them to come to the party and help you out now that they have wasted your money the first time around.

Thanks, getting the feeling his trying to take me for a ride being a 25 and a female. Still trying to figure out how the noise he had already said was a bearing is now possible gear noise, when the noise isn't there in gears. And upon picking it up he said all the gears looked good.

villn808

Reaction score
Members Ride

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The fact your gearbox guy, as the expert, stated the problem noise was definitely a bearing and then charged you the lower cost of $1300 to do the minor bearing repair, as the ‘fix’, works in your favour according to Australian Consumer Law.

The fact you still have the noise post repair, with an added issue of the gearbox now popping out of gear, would indicate the gearbox guy isn’t skilful in his craft or simply didn’t take due care during reassembly. As such, the service he has provided didn’t achieve the results expected.

So, since he didn’t actually fix the gearbox fault, and in fact made it worse, the question you should answer is do you trust him to attempt any further fix? If the answer is yes, your gearbox guy should repair the gearbox correctly with all costs at his expense, including in my view the remove and reinstall of the gear box.

I’d be discussing the problem with the Office of Fair Trading, especially the issue of who pays for the gearbox removal and reinstall (since it’s no fun to have to do it again due to the gearbox guys incompetence in reassembling they gearbox).

If you don’t trust him to do any more repairs, I’d be discussing the problem with the Office of Fair Trading.

The OFT should be able to advise where you stand in relation to gearbox removal and reinstall and in making a small claim via QCAT with consequential damage such as gearbox removal and reinstall costs and possibly clutch and other costs...

As is, the gearbox guy, being the expert, advised you what the problem was and what’s the cost to repair would be, which you agreed to... he can’t, post his repair stuff up, say it’s now something else at fault and the repair will now set you back $5000 (because you need new gears, etc)....
Australian consumer law doesn’t work that way....

The normal ACL view is that he repairs the box at his cost or gives you your money back so you are no worse than before you did the shonky repairs and you are then be free to go to some other repairer. BUT in this case you are worse off post the shonky repairs as the gearbox now has a new issue of popping out of gear. That makes it a little more complex and QCAT should be able to advise.

As to the Oil, it’s not a solution to faulty bearings, worn gears or syncros... but if you thinks it is you try that before spending $1300 on bearings. Best to sort out the repair... talk to QCAT ;)

Whatever you decide to do, don’t pay more for a fix that should been done and dusted for the $1300 the expert quoted and you paid... o_O

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
- deleted since the threads were merged and my post is now above ;) --

Last edited:

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl v8 commodore
what crap mechanics , throw out bearing noise is only there when you put your foot down to engage the clutch, with foot off the clutch the throw out bearings not spinning as its disengaged, when in neutral if there's noise but when you engage the clutch noise goes away its the input shaft bearing, seen heard it many times before, find a decent mechanic

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Only one thread required (and a little patience)!

Threads merged.