Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tr6060 gearbox oil? Bearing noises?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
like skylarking said you are covered under the acl consumer guarantee, you paid for the problem to be fixed and the problem was not fixed and that is their fault not your fault so they have to fix it properly under the original agreement at their own cost.
you were quoted a price and they performed the service and charged you accordingly but they did not fix the original problem so that is on them.

if they attempt to charge you again take it to your local fair trading and also lodge a complaint with the accc.

here are a few videos that everyone should watch because it explains the acl
Returns

Services

Revisit

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
Its called rollover noise lol,bloody t56 had it and it sounds like whatever box holden are using now still has it,our brand new turbo fg ute had it too back in the day.
End float in the box needs to be shimmed up afaik,they were calling it blueprinting when the ford boxes were getting done.
Penrite progear will quieten it down,can make it harder to shift when cold,especially in winter,wont totally fix the noise though...

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
The fact your gearbox guy, as the expert, stated the problem noise was definitely a bearing and then charged you the lower cost of $1300 to do the minor bearing repair, as the ‘fix’, works in your favour according to Australian Consumer Law.

The fact you still have the noise post repair, with an added issue of the gearbox now popping out of gear, would indicate the gearbox guy isn’t skilful in his craft or simply didn’t take due care during reassembly. As such, the service he has provided didn’t achieve the results expected.

So, since he didn’t actually fix the gearbox fault, and in fact made it worse, the question you should answer is do you trust him to attempt any further fix? If the answer is yes, your gearbox guy should repair the gearbox correctly with all costs at his expense, including in my view the remove and reinstall of the gear box.

I’d be discussing the problem with the Office of Fair Trading, especially the issue of who pays for the gearbox removal and reinstall (since it’s no fun to have to do it again due to the gearbox guys incompetence in reassembling they gearbox).

If you don’t trust him to do any more repairs, I’d be discussing the problem with the Office of Fair Trading.

The OFT should be able to advise where you stand in relation to gearbox removal and reinstall and in making a small claim via QCAT with consequential damage such as gearbox removal and reinstall costs and possibly clutch and other costs...

As is, the gearbox guy, being the expert, advised you what the problem was and what’s the cost to repair would be, which you agreed to... he can’t, post his repair stuff up, say it’s now something else at fault and the repair will now set you back $5000 (because you need new gears, etc)....
Australian consumer law doesn’t work that way....

The normal ACL view is that he repairs the box at his cost or gives you your money back so you are no worse than before you did the shonky repairs and you are then be free to go to some other repairer. BUT in this case you are worse off post the shonky repairs as the gearbox now has a new issue of popping out of gear. That makes it a little more complex and QCAT should be able to advise.

As to the Oil, it’s not a solution to faulty bearings, worn gears or syncros... but if you thinks it is you try that before spending $1300 on bearings. Best to sort out the repair... talk to QCAT ;)

Whatever you decide to do, don’t pay more for a fix that should been done and dusted for the $1300 the expert quoted and you paid... o_O

Your posts are never less than 5 paragraphs bruz. How do you do that. Typing fast ?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Your posts are never less than 5 paragraphs bruz. How do you do that. Typing fast ?
Haha, just not a fan of slow continual back and forth with one line posts. Are few paragraphs in a post problem? If so it’s not a compulsory read :p Hope some finds them useful :rolleyes:

How do I do it? Not with a pencil in my mouth :eek: and the fact there is nothing is on TV, Netflix or other steaming streaming crap while being an insomniac does help ;)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
like skylarking said you are covered under the acl consumer guarantee, you paid for the problem to be fixed and the problem was not fixed and that is their fault not your fault so they have to fix it properly under the original agreement at their own cost.
you were quoted a price and they performed the service and charged you accordingly but they did not fix the original problem so that is on them.

if they attempt to charge you again take it to your local fair trading and also lodge a complaint with the accc.

here are a few videos that everyone should watch because it explains the acl
Returns

Services

Revisit
Yeah, always liked ‘the checkout’s’ humorous representations of ACL so thanks for those links :)

The take for @Shar3e is that the shonky repairer not only didn’t fix the issue but added a new fault which must bring the service failure into ‘ACL major fault’ category, so the choice of full refund + consequential loss would be Shar3e’s to make ;)

TTubrag

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline
My 2014 vf ss is going back into the gearbox shop today. Been doing a bit of reading up on the penrite pro gear 70w-75. Has anyone changed there's over to this, is it worth doing?........
Just wondering if I should drop off the penrite oil for him to put that back in? Any advice or what not. Thankss

The Penrite ProGear 70W-75 is good stuff. Will smoothen out the shifts, ESPECIALLY 1st to 2nd when cold (but can require a little patience until warm).

The ProGear is definitely an improvement over the factory fill ATF, BUT is not a fix for an existing mechanical problem.

I second the posts from other members... get to know your rights under the Australian Consumer Law and fight for them. Otherwise it's just coming out of your pocket again and the dodgy mechanic gets another undeserved family holiday to Bali courtesy of you.

Good luck and let us know how you go!

Shar3e

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ss
Thanks for the replies. I dropped it back off yesterday, they were apologetic about 4th and it is getting fixed free of charge. They did mention rollover noise being common in these boxes, with that being said though the noise they are saying is roll over was originally bearings. Wondering if the bearing kit was even necessary.
Another question, the day I got it back I noticed a ticking noise coming from the left side of the engine, I've never noticed it before but then again I've never been outside of my car while it was running. Anyone else had this? Could this be lifters? Or possibly a loose spark plug?

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
I guarantee the original noise was rollover noise,they would say anything to make themselves not look totally stupid.
If they had put a dial gauge on it and checked the end float of the shafts when rebuilding and shimmed the shafts correctly the noise would have been fixed,its basically freeplay between gears at idle,it sounds bloody shocking,my old turbo ute was fixed by blueprinting the box,checking endfloat,clearances are within spec to minimise rollover noise.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Well there must still be some honourable tradesman/shops about. Good news to hear it will be sorted at their cost.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the replies. I dropped it back off yesterday, they were apologetic about 4th and it is getting fixed free of charge. They did mention rollover noise being common in these boxes, with that being said though the noise they are saying is roll over was originally bearings. Wondering if the bearing kit was even necessary...
Shar3e does that mean he's removeing, repairing and reinstalling the box or did you remove the box and drop it off for hime to repair?

I do share your concern as to whether the bearings even needed to be replaced since he's now saying the noise is rollover noise... now... after he's got your $1300...

As is, I'd wait until he's fixed the gearbox and then drive it. If it's quiet with little to no noise, check what type of oil is in it. If it's not factory oil (ATF?), then ask him what oil he put in... If he indeed put in some non factory oil, i'd consider doing a flush and returning it to factory oil. Then i'd drive it and if it makes the same noise, id be making a QCAT claim. The reason i'd go down this odd path is to check whether he should have changed the oil at the start, where it would have cost a few hundred rather than the $1300 bill you copped, its for QCAT amunition really.