Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

TR6060 thread

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
It looks like the OP has posted the pics directly to this thread so it shouldn't be an issue.
How does it work with members posting pics directly in a thread? Is there some overall size limit or pic limit per member?

Having pics in threads can be really useful, especially in how-to’s. For example, PIT4TE posted a how-to on cutting a fuel pump access cover under the seat of late VE‘s. Those pics are gone last I looked. Luckily there are some of the pics in other threads but not all of them that were in the how-to which in essence is neutered :(

Now back to gearbox/clutch & such mods.

Last edited:

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
How does it work with members posting pics directly in a thread? Is there some overall size limit or pic limit per member?
There is a size limit. It used to say 5 MB. But l could never post anything over 2 MB?

I have no idea what the size limit is now?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
There is a size limit. It used to say 5 MB. But l could never post anything over 2 MB?

I have no idea what the size limit is now?
That would be an individual pic size but what about overall size of multiple pics a member has posted, is there a max size for such and what happens when it’s exceeded? Do oldest pics get dumped and disappear from threads?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I think it's just a size limit per pic.

waikato willy

Reaction score
Members Ride
1984 VK calais
I right click the image on my desktop , edit with paint, reduce size to 10-20% of the original and save, the pics come from my old S6 samsung which takes a good pic but way to large to host, if images ever get to be and issue ill post them all to my google photos and share the link

also an update - my clutch cable is to long, ( I didnt measure properly and welded my bracket in the wrong place) just turning up a spacer today so by the end of the weekend hopefully it will all be in

Reactions: Lex

waikato willy

Reaction score
Members Ride
1984 VK calais
well as luck would have it , the gearbox cross member is most likely the easiest one I have ever had to make, factory cross member, factory TR6060 mount, two holes drilled in factory cross member and presto it all bolts straight up, all the right height
so all I really did was drill two holes, the cross member bolts up to the rear set of holes in the chassis
20220313_115247.jpg

20220313_115240.jpg

Last edited:

waikato willy

Reaction score
Members Ride
1984 VK calais
so before I fully bolted everything in I decided to fix my Exxon Valdez of an oil leak all around the sump, the cork gasket was burnt and everything was finger tight, might explain the constant scum all over the bottom of the car, got a 1 piece silicon sump gasket from Aus so hopefully this is better than the 4 piece cork deal I had in it before, one thing to note my motor has steel caps- is this factory? I vaguely remember my mentors in the engine shop laughing about them 15 odd years ago and saying it will still throw a rod over 7,000RPM
good news though, bearings are all mint
20220403_104811.jpg

waikato willy

Reaction score
Members Ride
1984 VK calais
box.jpg
so almost all going, just have to mount the pulse ring for the speedo, so far all looks and works good on the hoist, goes through all gears really well, might make the gearstick a bit longer as its really short shifting and asking for missed gear changes

waikato willy

Reaction score
Members Ride
1984 VK calais
well road test went really well , ratios are perfect ,
Im running corvette rims 225/50/16 and 4.11 diff ratio
At 100km/hr Im doing around 1900rpm in 6th
1st through to 4th is really good and close so really ideal for the track
shifts really crisp and smooth even with the horrible short shift and short gearstick
the reverse solenoid was melted so I modified it with a heavy spring and this works well , hard enough not to accidently engage reverse
the reverse switch even works for the lights
so really happy with the overall result
clutch works really good
the gear stick surround is actually the factory 4 speed rubber reversed , this works a treat

20220622_195353.jpg

waikato willy

Reaction score
Members Ride
1984 VK calais
So fathers day Drags was the big test for the gearbox and all my homemade adaptors ,
running a full DOT slick ( 26 x 11.5 x 15") made for some brutal hook ups
slack times 13.7 was my best , pretty bad , was a bit hairy mid track , could feel car swaying a lot even with 12psi in the slicks
60fts were bad as well due to clutch slip
Clutch actually did the old stick halfway to the floor on one run with some big clouds of burnt liner pumping out oops
so the results ,the gearbox was tough , never missed a shift , no crunches , super easy to get 2nd to 3rd under hard launch
no problems dropping it straight into 3rd to warm up the slicks
such a good shifting box just got to sort out a heavier pressure plate (already on order) and now looking forward to the night drags that are coming up soon , might switch back to a semi slick track tyre to go a bit easier on the clutch and more stability mid track
IMG-20220904-WA0001.jpg