Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tr6060 what oil...? Compression ratios low on L98

LsBeema

Reaction score
Members Ride
Bmw E36 L98
Hi fellow part Holdeners.
Whats thr best oil for a Tr6060...Research showed Redline D4 Atf...any better or nah.
Also did a compression test the other day . Engine was warm ish. 140 and 135 on 3 and 5......is that normal..?
And does porting the throttle body really help with and induction, headers and free flowing exhaust system...tune offcourse. ..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211018-205338_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211018-205338_Gallery.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 169
H

harrop.senator

I wouldn't worry about the throttle body on it they're already a decent set up.

Dex 4 ATF + shift additive of any brand.

Penrite and nulon do a shift enhancer.

I'm not sure about the redline ATF I've never ran it but I've found smurfs blood the manual trans stuff can kill a box if the box didn't like it ( 6 speed wrxes come to mind. ) Or you didn't let the old oil drain almost a day as it does not like mixing with other brands also needed changing four times faster then OEM reccomendation.

Don't know if they think all box oil should be done every 15-25k but they definitely thought there's did.

I'd be changing the box oil every 20-25 with normal box oil myself but the service is usually cheaper then another box.

LsBeema

Reaction score
Members Ride
Bmw E36 L98
I wouldn't worry about the throttle body on it they're already a decent set up.

Dex 4 ATF + shift additive of any brand.

Penrite and nulon do a shift enhancer.

I'm not sure about the redline ATF I've never ran it but I've found smurfs blood the manual trans stuff can kill a box if the box didn't like it ( 6 speed wrxes come to mind. ) Or you didn't let the old oil drain almost a day as it does not like mixing with other brands also needed changing four times faster then OEM reccomendation.

Don't know if they think all box oil should be done every 15-25k but they definitely thought there's did.

I'd be changing the box oil every 20-25 with normal box oil myself but the service is usually cheaper then another box.
Thanks brru.
Also been reading about Penrite Progear 70w75

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
i changed from the atf stuff to the penrite manual gear oil made good difference ill continue to use it from now on

H

harrop.senator

I found the 70/75 a bit notchy in t5 and t56 tremec when it was cold. My box also may / probably was flogged + I think the 6060 has more synchros?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
I found the 70/75 a bit notchy in t5 and t56 tremec when it was cold. My box also may / probably was flogged + I think the 6060 has more synchros?
yea worked well in my TR6060 pretty sure it has some revised parts to smooth it out tho which prob help it

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Another vote for Penrite pro gear 70w75

never used anything else on Tremec or T56 boxes (ever since way back on my VX Clubsport)
drain the factory ATF and fill with penrite when I first get it and she's sweet

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Engine was warm ish. 140 and 135 on 3 and 5......is that normal..?
It could be but what are the other cylinder's pressures?

Not sure what the factory compression pressure would be on a L98 or LS3 but on smaller engines I've played with around 175psi is normal.

The thing with compression readings is that each cylinder should build pressure in a similar way over the the 8 revolutions it takes to get 4 puffs of compression reflecting on your pressure gauge. Also the difference pressure reading between each cylinders shouldn't be greater than +/- 10% in a good engine. I've always worked with these tighter 10% spec for rebuilt engines and in service engines. As long as the pressures are all consistant, I was happy :p

Oddly, the holden service manual specifies what seems a lower standards but then again they think LS3 sounding like a diesel is normal :p The VF service manual lists a compression test for the L77/LS3 on page 6575 of the pdf (you can find here). It states:

• The minimum compression in any 1 cylinder should not be less than 70% of the highest cylinder. No cylinder should read less than 690 kPa (100 psi). For example if the highest pressure in any 1 cylinder is 1035 kPa (150 psi), the lowest allowable pressure for any other cylinder would be 725 kPa (105 psi). (1035 x 70% = 725) (150 x 70% = 105)
    • Normal - Compression builds up quickly and evenly to the specified comression for each cylinder
    • Piston rings leaking - Compression is low on the first stroke. Compression builds up with following strokes, but does not reach normal. Compression improves considerably when you add oil (15mls)
    • Valves leaking - compression is low on the first stroke. Compression usually doesn not build up on the following strokes. Compression doesn not improve much when you add oil.
    • If 2 adjacent cylinders have lower than normal compression, and injecting oil into the cylinder does not increase the compression, the cause may be a head gasket leaking between the cylinders.
Why provide all that info and not list the cylinder compression pressure in the later L77 or LS3 specification section? Bloody Holden...

Last edited: