Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Track day Ks too low. 1200k

Colonel161

Reaction score
Members Ride
Director
I have a 2017 Calais Director, I only have 1200ks on the clock as part of the run in process, is it too soon to do a track day, I don’t plan or have the ability to run this car close to its potential performance, maybe around 75 % ? Any thoughts on that, am I going to create cause any lasting damage or issues ? Any further thoughts on these 6.2 engines.

Last edited:

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
as long as youve had your first oil change, just send it

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
Yep, change the oil and filter, have a good look for any metal particulates, if all is well then just make sure you warm it up thoroughly on the day and have at it.

Andrew

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Just do a run up the mountains and back first, and don't redline it too much.

Colonel161

Reaction score
Members Ride
Director
as long as youve had your first oil change, just send it
Yeah, it’s had it’s initial 1month service plus the 9 and 18 mth services, and the lifter recall done, I presume it’s had the oil change, I know the Ks have been very low and it’s never been driven in the rain, I planned originally to keep ks super low, and use it very little and I’m fortunate to have a 4wheel drive and a company car, but I’ve decided bugger it I need to enjoy this car for what it is, as on old v8 guy I can’t wait any longer, just wanted to be sure that it was good to go as far as stretching it’s legs so to speak and getting it up around the redline

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
It will be warmed up by the time you get to the track. Lick the stamp and send it.

Colonel161

Reaction score
Members Ride
Director
It will be warmed up by the time you get to the track. Lick the stamp and send it.
, I actually have a 100k drive to the track, so that ticks that box, I presume the guys running the day will advise on tyre pressure etc, but should be lots of fun, just gotta keep it on the black stuff

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Yeah, it’s had it’s initial 1month service plus the 9 and 18 mth services, and the lifter recall done, I presume it’s had the oil change, I know the Ks have been very low and it’s never been driven in the rain, I planned originally to keep ks super low, and use it very little and I’m fortunate to have a 4wheel drive and a company car, but I’ve decided bugger it I need to enjoy this car for what it is, as on old v8 guy I can’t wait any longer, just wanted to be sure that it was good to go as far as stretching it’s legs so to speak and getting it up around the redline

It should have had 2 oil changes then. Only 1200Ks?
Tyres are probably starting to harden with age, might as well scrub 'em out on the track, and get a fresh set.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Air pressure should be reasonably firm for the track. I would be turning up with the pressure around 40. And check it again after your first session, it should increase by about 3 due to heat if you're on the right figure so they told us at my first track day ;)

eman1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
Air pressure should be reasonably firm for the track. I would be turning up with the pressure around 40. And check it again after your first session, it should increase by about 3 due to heat if you're on the right figure so they told us at my first track day ;)
I've seen this twice on here, tyre pressure increases heaps with heap and you don't want to go out on 40psi. I've gone out on 32psi and come back in on 42psi. If you use 40psi cold you will get next to no grip when hot.

OP: car will be fine with 1200km.