Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Track Day - questions

Brown Dog

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Nitrate Manual Redline
Hey all. Got a (my first) track day at Sandown coming up - 20mins of track time / hr

So thought i'd get car serviced first (about due)
My questions are:
- Insurance - possible ?
- Tyre pressures to have
- Things i should be doing car prep-wise before, during and after
- Other shite i haven't thought of

Cheers - BD

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Not 100% sure about cars but i ride bikes on the track and any insurance is void if an accident happens on the track. You should still have accident cover if you're hurt or killed as that is part of the fees you pay to go out and tear around.
Make sure you warm your tyres up before giving it too much stick. Don't worry about flicking from side to side as the formula 1s do. Novices who race bikes try doing the flicky flick and it does SFA to add any heat to the tyres. Instead hit hard on a couple of tight corners as you are leaving the corner, get some wheel spin and this will get the tyres hot.

Last edited:

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
  • Make sure you have plenty of meat on your brake pads. Ideally you should change the brake pads for better (semi-comp) ones unless you have already done so. Sandown is very hard on brakes.
  • Definitely replace your brake fluid unless it is only a couple of months old (preferably with high temp fluid).
  • You can probably increase the tyre pressures to around 45-50 psi (cold).

Brown Dog

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks. Car has only done 17K so pads should be ok.
Was thinking an oil change afterwards might be a good idea.
Depending on how hard I go, i expect to replace pads, tyres might be a bit sad, and hopefully rotors hold up. Someone mentioned I shouldn't apply handbrake after a session, and to move the car a bit to stop rotors warping from the heat.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
You can get insurance to cover wrecking the vehicle

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
Hey all. Got a (my first) track day at Sandown coming up - 20mins of track time / hr
So thought i'd get car serviced first (about due)
My questions are:
- Insurance - possible ?
- Tyre pressures to have
- Things i should be doing car prep-wise before, during and after
- Other shite i haven't thought of
Cheers - BD

I'm assuming you are doing a Driver Dynamics track day, if so utilise their instructors if you have never driven around Sandown Raceway. Sandown is a great track. Be level headed, ease into it and most importantly, enjoy yourself.

Brown Dog

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm assuming you are doing a Driver Dynamics track day, if so utilise their instructors if you have never driven around Sandown Raceway. Sandown is a great track. Be level headed, ease into it and most importantly, enjoy yourself.
Thx :)

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
buy this game https://www.studio-397.com/ buy a $300 gaming wheel a decent video card and or gaming pc , install V8 Supercars plus Sandown and do a few hundred laps and you'll be good to go , all the top V8 drivers use this game to get to know a track . There are heaps of Aussie "Leagues " that are very serious racers that can help you out to put down a good lap . visit http://www.outlawsracing.com/news.php or http://xfactorracing.com/ or many others if your interested to have a look

EDIT: This may sound like its just a game but it can teach you racing lines , braking markers , corner apexes and so much more , oh and the guys online are a great bunch

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
^ virtual racing setup can be cheaper than a set of tyres, brakes and fresh fluids. It also doesn’t hurt at all when you do get it wrong and hit a barrier ;) It’s a great way of learning a track as mentioned, before you hit a real track :cool:

If you get addicted to virtual racing, it can get expensive as you build a better simulator, what with all the expensive accessories one can buy. :rolleyes:

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
^ virtual racing setup can be cheaper than a set of tyres, brakes and fresh fluids. It also doesn’t hurt at all when you do get it wrong and hit a barrier ;) It’s a great way of learning a track as mentioned, before you hit a real track :cool:

on that note, Sandown will make you pay if you hit anything
Armco is $300 a length (3 high armco = $900 a length)
and you will sign a form that says you pay for it (and NOT the organizers of that day)

Also it has been mentioned here but again, Sandown is a brake killer.
I have seen guys turn up with NEW pads and rotors and fluid and go home
on a flat top .. with no brakes (they ended up metal to metal)

and final question .. insurance? no, your normal insurance will be void
but you can buy track day insurance from CAMS insurer, FAMOUS.
check their website .. or their are other insurance brokers who offer it

pps.. if the day is wet or damp, watch out for the 'bump' in the middle
of the main straight just before the grandstand. I have seen cars at WOT
get turned sideways from that ... me included :mad: