Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Track Days

VF Redline

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Great vid eman1.
I've been wanting to do this for a long time, I'm in Newcastle too, So it's a long drive for a weekend but I guess it's all worth it.
How often do you go? Maybe I'll tag along with you one day.

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
Great vid, I need to get a similar setup before my next track day. Guy in that Monaro can't drive for **** and should have let you past way earlier.

eman1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
Great vid eman1.
I've been wanting to do this for a long time, I'm in Newcastle too, So it's a long drive for a weekend but I guess it's all worth it.
How often do you go? Maybe I'll tag along with you one day.
Yea I make a weekend away of it and stay in goulburn or woolongong, next event is 19th May, follow trackdayclub on Facebook for dates and info. I try to go to 3 or 4 a year but trying to get more involved depending on work commitments.

Mike__

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf2ssv
Awesome drive mate. Sounded great

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Yes standard exhaust, I record the sound with a mic on the back number plate which makes the vid sound better rather than wind noise.

That was awesome....What mic are you using ?
I'm currently looking for a decent mic for my Gopro and I was impressed with the sound quality that you recorded with yours.
Cheers for sharing

eman1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
That was awesome....What mic are you using ?
I'm currently looking for a decent mic for my Gopro and I was impressed with the sound quality that you recorded with yours.
Cheers for sharing
It's called a sportsmyk, I found it at camera house for about $60 then got a $6 extension from jaycar so I clip it to the number plate and run the cable through the boot.

VF Redline

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Ok I'm going to do this this year!
So are there many requirements that are needed or not allowed?
Do you have to have a fire extinguisher?
Can you just mount your phone off the windscreen with a suction cap holder?
Ah can you rent a helmet for the day? I'll probably buy one before I go, but someone else might not?
What mechanical things are required to bet checked before & after?
Where do you get track insurance and whats the cost?

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Nice! I enjoyed that immensely.
What speed were you hitting at the end of the main straight?
Clearly that Monaro is not sporting the LS7?

Agreed it's a good video.

You could count on one finger the number of times the Monaro driver hit the apex, they need more practice under their belt as very average driving like that makes for poor lap times.

eman1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
Ok I'm going to do this this year!
So are there many requirements that are needed or not allowed?
Do you have to have a fire extinguisher?
Can you just mount your phone off the windscreen with a suction cap holder?
Ah can you rent a helmet for the day? I'll probably buy one before I go, but someone else might not?
What mechanical things are required to bet checked before & after?
Where do you get track insurance and whats the cost?
Requirements needed is a
-AASA licence ($70ish dollars a year and just a online application)
- roadworthy car (not really checked prior to the track but it’s in your best interest to have decent tyres and brake pads, fluid etc) will ruin the day to have the car not perform.
- Helmet (can be a cheap open face helmet, I use my motorbike helmet)

Fire extinguisher is not required at Wakefield park but some tracks do require one mounted (there are fire extinguishers on the track at the little bunkers seen on the video, used at your expense, same as if you drop oil or fluid the bags of absorbent stuff is $50 a bag, more reason to have a roadworthy car.) last track day a VF2 Redline with the W547 kit did actually cat fire and was a write off - don’t want to scare anyone off though.

You can mount phone or go pro using suction just make sure it’s a strong mount as you don’t want loose stuff flying around the car. (Don’t underestimate the forces stopping from 180kph to 100kph every lap.)

No track insurance, it is available but extremely expensive, you are on track with other car enthusiasts that are generally good drivers that respect each other and the rule is the car in front has right of way ( seen in video caution taken when other car is close) you would be more likely to crash on way to track than at the track, I have spun off multiple times at 140kph and it’s just big grass run offs and gravel traps (tow strap needed to avoid damage if you go in there getting towed out, I still don’t have one anyway lol)

All in all a great way to experience what the cars can do, I’m more than happy to help out others get involved at the next event in March at Wakefield park, Facebook track day club and look at the info and stuff.

Anything else you need to know happy to help.

VF Redline

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Thank you for that great info eman1, it makes things easier to do on the day.
There's a couple of days in January for Speed off the Streets, so I'm going to one of them. After checking their website I've found that it's $95 for the AASA license.
I'll defiantly have to put new pads on all round, and a fresh air filter, think that's all I'll need to do, got new tyres a couple of months ago.
I won't get a fire extinguisher then. Sorry to hear about the poor guy that lost his car though, that would be devastating.
As for the camera mount I think I'll not use a suction cup as it's getting old now and not worth the risk.
As for the helmet, I have got an old dirt bike helmet I can use, just means it'll be tight head room wise, as I'm just off the roof without it on.
Again thanks for the info.