Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Track widths

Noodle_969

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
I have just purchased a VK, as a project. Previous owner has fitted a VS V8 K frame and VS SS front brakes, and then to try to match the track width at the front has used a VN diff, which seems to make sense, as google says the VN diff is 63mm wider. Problem is, on a 235/40/18 tyre, and rims that seem to have little to no dish, the tyre is already tucked up quite tight in side the guard, and would most likely scrub over bumps. Firstly is reducing the track width back to standard at the rear going to have a heap of adverse effects on handling? or secondly if I continue with the existing diff, are there going to be many wider wheels available with very little dish that don't look like crap?

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
If it's got 1 piece struts & vb-vp discs front is standard like 99% of early girls unless heavily modified drift setup....porkies or mis-informed with front end specs.

Vn-vs diffs are cheapest tight-arse way to get rear discs with 4 pinion diff....also sucks for wheel choice as basically can't lower car without tyres hitting.

Only way out is spending money getting yours shortened to suit wheel choice or tracking down vk or vl diff which probably end up needing axles & 4 pinion centre

Noodle_969

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
If it's got 1 piece struts & vb-vp discs front is standard like 99% of early girls unless heavily modified drift setup....porkies or mis-informed with front end specs.

Vn-vs diffs are cheapest tight-arse way to get rear discs with 4 pinion diff....also sucks for wheel choice as basically can't lower car without tyres hitting.

Only way out is spending money getting yours shortened to suit wheel choice or tracking down vk or vl diff which probably end up needing axles & 4 pinion centre
So the track width at the front will have changed very little? If thats the case I'll just leave it as is. So if I was to track down a VK or VL diff, what are they like? are they going to handle even a warm 355?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
VSV8 k-frames bolt straight into VK's....Just got to get the correct rack, but that's another story, not worth getting into.

Track wise...Having the VS k-frame in isn't going to change the track, because you'd be using the same control arm assembley the VK came with, so it can't increase...They bolt straight in

As for the diff...As gtr boyy has suggested...Shorten yours or track down a VK or VL diff

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
So the track width at the front will have changed very little? If thats the case I'll just leave it as is. So if I was to track down a VK or VL diff, what are they like? are they going to handle even a warm 355?
I've got a VL diff in my VH. I have a reasonable amount of power and never had any problems. However I have never done a burnout or about to start anytime soon.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
You usually end up buying n/a 6cyl vl housing or very rarely vk b/w....those are 25 spline 2 pinion centre.Keep housing & toss the rest most of the time.

Basically buy new 28 spline axles if got factory 4 pinion lsd or up the ante 31 splines,truetrac & suitable diff gears.

It used to be cheap conversion when tracked down all parts yourself...nowadays with covid tax 9' looks reasonable not only being stronger,better parts choice/availibility but also choice of diff widths to suit different wheels like needing it to be narrowed to suit 15x8 with 255/60/15 or fr-1 20x9.5 simmons on 255-275 20' tyre