Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Traction control VR

Adamvr93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S Pack - 5 speed
Hey guys,
this might be stupid but i was just thinking the other day would it be possible to install traction control to a VR? how is the TC controlled.. is it all in the ABS module or is it a separate electronic device that controls it.. if its controlled directly by the ABS module would it simply be a matter of swapping the ABS module in the VR for one from say a VY?
would like to hear what anyone else thinks about this =]

cheers.

Adriianz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS
yeah i think it is, not 100% sure, but i think mine has it, under my glove box my 1994 vr has a little electrical box that says something about "for cars WITH traction control" not 100% though so yeah.. lols

S2_VR_

Reaction score
Members Ride
03' M6 VY SS ute
must have a rare VR then, ....this is interesting. dunno why you'd want it really, but i've never seen it in a VR.....or VS......maybe someone can shed a little more light today?

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
Im pretty sure its also got something to do with the gearbox also.

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Hey guys,
this might be stupid but i was just thinking the other day would it be possible to install traction control to a VR? how is the TC controlled.. is it all in the ABS module or is it a separate electronic device that controls it.. if its controlled directly by the ABS module would it simply be a matter of swapping the ABS module in the VR for one from say a VY?

cheers.

If your V6 doesn't lose traction, then why do you need traction control? (and i don't mean when you do it on purpose) I understand why some LS1's etc need it, ever been in one without the traction control on? You probably wouldn't want to. On a VR / VS V6, there really isn't a need for a traction controller.

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
who's saying it doesn't lose traction? I've been in a couple hairy situations in V6 VR going round a roundabout, luckily for me I can drive so not so much a problem, but for people that are unsure what is happening and can't react then its a great idea.

Any car regardless of engine power can lose traction round a corner if they're going to fast.

Helicopter

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR Calais V8
Hey guys,

cheers.

On my VT R8, the traction control worked in conjuction with the ABS pickup sensors on the rear wheels. When it sensed one of the wheels spining faster than the other, it simply reduced the throttle. Again as far as the VT is concerned, between the throttle pedal & cable to the actual throttle body, an electric module intervened which literaly pushed [pulsed] the throttle pedal back up under your foot.

A bit on the dark ages way of doing things but it did work. Saved me a few 360's in the wet:whistling

keza87

JCCC NSW Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX/VY/VZ Wagon LS1
I am sure this has been discussed before.
I know on my VX the ABS module works with the ECU. If I lose traction the ABS detects it and I believe applies brake pressure to the spinning wheel plus I think either spark or fuel is cut to reduce torque. Sounds bad when you have an after market exhaust.

After driving cars that don't have traction control and been through advanced driving courses I find traction control a hinderance more than being useful but that's just my opinion

stockyvrcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ UTE
i used to have a VT calais with a gen 3, went around a bend one night, pretty slowly too, T/C on, and lost it, (it was wet) lol

Adamvr93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S Pack - 5 speed
If your V6 doesn't lose traction, then why do you need traction control? (and i don't mean when you do it on purpose) I understand why some LS1's etc need it, ever been in one without the traction control on? You probably wouldn't want to. On a VR / VS V6, there really isn't a need for a traction controller.

it does lose traction without meaning to in the wet more so when taking off from lights nd stuff it'll kick out a bit.. not that this is going to cause loss of control or anything just a bit annoying... ive actually been thinking about doing a full engine rebuild and doing some work to increase power aiming around 160rwkw.. to me this amount of power is worthy of traction control lol... was also just curious to see if anyone has tried anything like this yet.