Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Traction in the wet

Diesel_junkie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
My old man has those tyers in that pic there rubbish in the wet.
I have cheapER tyres on mine... they are directional, and work very well in the dry, but their wet weather performance leaves a little to be desired. I just take it easy in the wet....

L688.png

K-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
+1 Falken Fk425.

As for tyre PSI - Unless you do snow driving, or live in the UAE where it gets to 55'C by 9am - MORE TYRE PRESSURE IS ALWAYS BETTER THAN LESS!!!!

Again for emphasis.

!!!MORE TYRE PRESSURE IS ALWAYS BETTER THAN LESS!!!

The caveats being the above mentioned and not rediculously more PSI. But an extra 2-3 if unsure will always be better than less 2-3.

Wet or dry. More is better.

In the wet, with less PSI in, your tyre may not have adequate strength to push water through the groves and you may aquaplane over puddles easily.

In the dry, insufficent tyre pressure is also bad. Because if you need to slam on the brakes to avoid hitting something, your tyre will again deform, increasing stopping distance considerably. Maybe by only 3m, but that is the difference between "Wow that was close" and "Oh ****". You can tell in a collision if a vehicles tyres were underinflated - the skids on the road. Instead of a solid line of rubber, there will be two smaller, parallel lines instead, where the tyre has buckled slightly, reducing the contact area.

And as others have said, buy the best tyres you can. Those 4 patches are the only things keeping you on the road and you dont get to choose when the next 0.5 - 10 seconds of driving could be the difference between your death or that of someone else. And when that time comes, and it will, I would never be able to forgive myself if someone was killed or injured because I jewed out on some rubber.

K-Man

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Triangles are by far the worst tyre anyone could buy. They are that bad they should be illegal.

If you cant afford semi decent tyres you cant afford to own a car, its that simple. Tyres are what keep you and your family on the road. They determine braking distances and vehicle stability. Dont fark around when buying tyres, I cant emphasise this enough.

I run a midrange tyre, Maxxis Victras $249 a pop for 245/35/19s and they have great wet and dry traction.

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
I didnt even have enlarge the pic to know they were trangles. i have one on the right rear. loses traction easy but man it takes a beating. I have taken my road rage out on it a few times! I have some Gagitar tyres on the front, they are cheap but bloody brilliant tyres.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
I didnt even have enlarge the pic to know they were trangles. i have one on the right rear. loses traction easy but man it takes a beating. I have taken my road rage out on it a few times! I have some Gagitar tyres on the front, they are cheap but bloody brilliant tyres.

They take a beating due to excessively hard tyre compound which equals very poor traction.

adr8

Reaction score
Members Ride
E3 Clubsport R8
Yep, Maxxis have done well in comparative testing, Falken FK452 and Kuhmo KU 31 always seem to get recommended in a lot of forums.

I will be going for a set of FK452 or Maxxis when my OEM need replacing... I think FK452 are the most expensive followed by KU31 then the Maxxis... could be wrong been a while since I last checked.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Yep, Maxxis have done well in comparative testing, Falken FK452 and Kuhmo KU 31 always seem to get recommended in a lot of forums.

I will be going for a set of FK452 or Maxxis when my OEM need replacing... I think FK452 are the most expensive followed by KU31 then the Maxxis... could be wrong been a while since I last checked.

Yep yep

If 'have' to go cheap, Rotella is ok, Federal 595s are ok at first but after a period of time become below average and noisy

Gemstone, Ling Lang and Triangles, avoid completely

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Funny considering there usually made in the same factory as the big named tyre companies. Hm.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
Another vote for Falken 452's.
You dont have to spend over $1500 for them either.
I bought my last set on Ebay from St George tyres (reputable Sydney retailer).... about $700 delivered. Add another $100 for local fitting, balancing, and disposal of old tyres, and for $800 (half the price of cheapest local quote) you get Falken flagship tyres for cheaper than the POS ones you got now. That tread pattern is shocking mate... and it doesnt look like there's a lot of depth there either. Good pics though, thanks for taking time to take and post.

But seriously, I've never understood folks who go for cheap **** when it comes to tyres. It's the only thing holding your car onto the road.

Funny considering there usually made in the same factory as the big named tyre companies. Hm.

Bud, they may be made in same factory... but that doesnt mean the tyre is any better. Much more important factors in making a tyre than location of the factory they are made in.