Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

traction issues

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
okay i got my trans rebuilt with a stage 2 shift kit and put in a 2800 rpm high stall, ive got my stock LSD but it brakes traction thru 2nd gear before im even moving at 3/4 throttle......
it chirps everywhere and spins when it drops back from 3rd to second at 80.... would putting in 2.78 gears help stop this or should i be looking at 3.45's or 3.7's????

Stevob

Reaction score
Members Ride
May 1991 VN Wagon V6 Auto
What sort of tyres do you have on it?

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Traction is over come when you reach the limits of either your suspension or tires. I would be looking at rims tires possibly (something wider) or a different rate spring for example. Going to an even taller diff ratio will help with traction...........but make it a pig off the line.
AirStrike :air:

Apoc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN-Series I-6-90
I recently changed from 215's on stock 14's to 225's on pursuit rims and damn she handles soooo much better, not as much fun for those traffic light take offs in the wet though you have to be a fair bit more aggressive to stop the traction commin on in second (auto box), with the exhaust bellowing out the cops would be onto me in no time.

Dunno what makes the new tryes and wheels have fair superior traction as theyre not that much wider but do have a different tread patern. 215's were bridgestone "turanzas" and the 225's are some sort of bridgestone job but i cant find them on their crappy website... antiques maybe :) (got em from the tender center) but they made all the difference.

Not really bout ure stuff but about traction stuff... sorry :)

Apoc out.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I'd suggest 3.9 gears will give you more more traction rather than less, because there is less speed range difference between the converters 2800 and zero km/h in 1st with 3.9's than the 3.08's. If that makes sense: )? and 15 inch wheels and maybe some softer springs too. Anyway the converter is too big in the first place you crazy man :)

xcop5l

4th year spanner spinner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN ex cop 5L
wider tyres will help they helped me heaps with wheel spin into second
if your running 17 they will be 225s to 235s but you wont get much wider under the gaurds. i would recomend trying out a differnt size rim like 15s and take it for a drive you will notice the difference. the 17s dont have much tyre wall so they dont allow for as much tortional twist in the tyre so they will spin eayser than a smaller rim.
its like this:
bigger rims = better handeling and better burnouts rougher ride
smaller rims (with wide tyres)= better take off traction smoother ride

also try lowering your tyre pressures that will help with traction (eg try about 30 psi instead of the recomended 36) that will make a difference