Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Trade Award Wages

JMP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Berlina
I believe the whole trade system is screwed. When I did my trade years ago there were guys completing their trade that were just as hopeless or worse than kids doing tech in high school, when I asked the teachers how come they pass kids this bad and let them get their certificate the reply I got was that there was too much crap to deal with if they failed them and they were encouraged not to fail them. Now that pissed me off back then cause there were guys qualified as tradesman that couldn't even work by themselves unsupervised.
Now if you ever go to a factory you will find unqualified guys earning almost as much as tradesman so you have to wonder whats the point of studying for 4 years just for a little more money. There are very few trades that reward you for being qualified with a decent wage unless your trade is in a field that you must be qualified to be employed in then your screwed basically and to truly benefit from being a tradesman anyway you need to think about going out on your own.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
You find me ONE 16yr old apprentice who has. Seriously. I hate comments like this.

This sort of **** is taught in schools. When I was 15 I was packed off to the steelworks for 3 weeks, and one of the assignments we had were to find out what the pay scales were for the duration of an apprenticeship.

Why do you hate comments like this? Surely it would be too much common sense for a 16 year old kid to ask questions about how much he is going to earn?

At 16 you are old enough to do a bit of homework. If one can't be bothered to do a simple bit of groundwork then maybe thats all one deserves. You simply do not leave school flying blind.

Not all kids are that farkin dumb are they?

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
urgg, yes it does go up with age when you under age. But if you're fully qualified you should be paid the same amount of money as the next TQ'd tradie. Provided skills are on the same level.

If you have a 22yr old trades man at X skill level and a 42yr old at the same level. Then I see no reason why the older worker deserves more money.

That makes more sense, and I can agree on that 100%

Pickle'

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
This sort of **** is taught in schools. When I was 15 I was packed off to the steelworks for 3 weeks, and one of the assignments we had were to find out what the pay scales were for the duration of an apprenticeship.

Why do you hate comments like this? Surely it would be too much common sense for a 16 year old kid to ask questions about how much he is going to earn?

At 16 you are old enough to do a bit of homework. If one can't be bothered to do a simple bit of groundwork then maybe thats all one deserves. You simply do not leave school flying blind.

Not all kids are that farkin dumb are they?

LOL i laugh at you saying havnt you checked what you'd be earning.. average pay for my trade is around $30 an hour... AWARD WAGES ARE ALWAYS **** NO MATTER THE JOB... apprenticeships pay was going to be **** either way.. i didnt care for that.. but my point is.. my tradie.. who now does #### all but watch me and has done this for about 2 years now since i can do the job is on $39p/h im not even on half that and im doing the whole job.

LOL WTF?
Age has nothing to do with it.
I've seen MANY old tradies who are useless as tits on a bull. Yes its more probable that with age you're going to be better at it, but its not the rule.

Age shouldn't have anything to do with pay rate. It should be based on your ability.
That aside, award wage is a joke.

thats pretty much what i wanted to say.. my 'experienced' tradie is 52yo earning $39 and cannot run my machine whatsoever now just watches quality... (when his not on facebook) and the other guy im with is on $22ph his 23yo and im doing the exact same thing as him... when i asked why his on more i got told his older and more 'experienced'

Stressball

Rolling on 4 again :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
LOL i laugh at you saying havnt you checked what you'd be earning.. average pay for my trade is around $30 an hour... AWARD WAGES ARE ALWAYS **** NO MATTER THE JOB... apprenticeships pay was going to be **** either way.. i didnt care for that.. but my point is.. my tradie.. who now does #### all but watch me and has done this for about 2 years now since i can do the job is on $39p/h im not even on half that and im doing the whole job.

thats pretty much what i wanted to say.. my 'experienced' tradie is 52yo earning $39 and cannot run my machine whatsoever now just watches quality... (when his not on facebook) and the other guy im with is on $22ph his 23yo and im doing the exact same thing as him... when i asked why his on more i got told his older and more 'experienced'

So what you mean to say is... You have a **** boss. Not that the award wage is too low. Award wages are low for everything, as you said. The problem is global for award wages, they serve no purpose other than to set the lowest bar you can expect to reach. If you expect more, and your current employer won't pay you what you're worth, you find another employer. This is not specific to trades.

Start looking.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride

Whats the damn problem then? Average pay is $30 /hr in your job and you are getting $17 /hr? Leave the job instead of whinging about it.

I laugh at you.

Pickle'

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Whats the damn problem then? Average pay is $30 /hr in your job and you are getting $17 /hr? Leave the job instead of whinging about it.

I laugh at you.

as stated to start with i got my certificate last week. i am looking for a new job, i cant just Leave. and dont worry alot of people laugh at me =D.. i really dont care.. if its such an issue that im whinging.. dont reply?

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
as stated to start with i got my certificate last week. i am looking for a new job, i cant just Leave. and dont worry alot of people laugh at me =D.. i really dont care.. if its such an issue that im whinging.. dont reply?

You had a whinge about your wages and then arced up when I offered my opinion.

It happens in all occupations - 10 years ago I remember doing the same mine ventilation **** for $50k a year, that the dude next to me was having a ball in drill and blast for $90k a year. He was doing a less strenuous job, but the difference was he had another 3-4 years experience on me, and we both did a mining engineering degree for 4 years.

Gotta start somewhere and work your way up (but obviously not in the government style of 1 pay increase per year, where the longest serving are the highest paid regardless of ability).