Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tradie vehicle advice experience

Mike Litherous

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ssv
I use the ve SS Ute for work with a soft canopy and ladder racks.

There are only 2 downsides
1/ fuel use ain’t too flash
2/ its just about impossible to keep the rear panels scratch and dent free. A tray is much better in that regard.

A company I do work for use an extra cab Toyota ute with the suicide doors. It makes the tray bigger and gives sonewhere to store a fridge and occasial passengers. Once the commodore is past it’s used by date I’d prob go something like this.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
From a "Work Vehicle Only" point of view I would suggest a Toyota Hiace van.....Petrol or diesel will come down to personal preference.
I had a petrol one that was setup for doing forklift field service a few years ago, it got along really well considering what I used to cart around in it all the time.
It used to have on board at all times:
All of my tools
Air compressor
A large vice that was setup on a 4" box steel slide so it extended out through the back door when you wanted to use it.
Oxy/acetylene bottles
Spare gas cylinder for a forklift
2 shelving racks full of spare parts
20 & 60 litre drums of oil for the forklift fleet, plus a few empty drums that were used to transport the waste oil.
And that is just what I remember off the top off my head.

What I liked about it:
Security of your tools & equipment being inside the vehicle whenever you are away from it.
Numerous options available to deck out the rear cargo area to suit your specific kind of work.
Everything was setup with safety in mind...Cargo barrier installed & restraints were used for other equipment that was onboard.

What I didn't like about it:
Your legs being part of the crumple zone in the event of a front end accident
Other than that, I liked it and it served it's purpose well

Guess you didn't know it is illegal to carry oxy/acetylene cylinders inside a van.
I agree hiace van is best for handyman.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
From a "Work Vehicle Only" point of view I would suggest a Toyota Hiace van.....Petrol or diesel will come down to personal preference.
I had a petrol one that was setup for doing forklift field service a few years ago, it got along really well considering what I used to cart around in it all the time.
It used to have on board at all times:
All of my tools
Air compressor
A large vice that was setup on a 4" box steel slide so it extended out through the back door when you wanted to use it.
Oxy/acetylene bottles
Spare gas cylinder for a forklift
2 shelving racks full of spare parts
20 & 60 litre drums of oil for the forklift fleet, plus a few empty drums that were used to transport the waste oil.
And that is just what I remember off the top off my head.

What I liked about it:
Security of your tools & equipment being inside the vehicle whenever you are away from it.
Numerous options available to deck out the rear cargo area to suit your specific kind of work.
Everything was setup with safety in mind...Cargo barrier installed & restraints were used for other equipment that was onboard.

What I didn't like about it:
Your legs being part of the crumple zone in the event of a front end accident
Other than that, I liked it and it served it's purpose well

a mate of mine (who I have known since we went to primary school together) is a builder
registered .. all that builds houses. He had one of those but one thing made him get rid of it
.. long pieces of anything guttering downpipe timber framing have be up on top and tied down
for transport but there was never enuff space for his ladders AND what ever he was picking up.

He went the Fraud ute tray back with builders canopy (lockable etc) AND a trailer with matching
storage box with Storage racks for the timber guttering etc. His ladders went on top of the ute box

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Sounds like you're trying to dual purpose it too much. You need to look at it as a tool for your business and its ability to help you run it better.

You're asking about advice for a tradie car, but still want to run through the hills. Well, what do you want it to do?
I drive through some twisty bits in hills for work so after something I can still enjoy(maybe that doesn't exist)

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
I use the ve SS Ute for work with a soft canopy and ladder racks.

There are only 2 downsides
1/ fuel use ain’t too flash
2/ its just about impossible to keep the rear panels scratch and dent free. A tray is much better in that regard.

A company I do work for use an extra cab Toyota ute with the suicide doors. It makes the tray bigger and gives sonewhere to store a fridge and occasial passengers. Once the commodore is past it’s used by date I’d prob go something like this.
I,delivering use my VE as Ute but with cam etc and only 36k on it and mint condition she's a keeper till I die.
What lengthy gear can you get on racks

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
a mate of mine (who I have known since we went to primary school together) is a builder
registered .. all that builds houses. He had one of those but one thing made him get rid of it
.. long pieces of anything guttering downpipe timber framing have be up on top and tied down
for transport but there was never enuff space for his ladders AND what ever he was picking up.

He went the Fraud ute tray back with builders canopy (lockable etc) AND a trailer with matching
storage box with Storage racks for the timber guttering etc. His ladders went on top of the ute box
Thinking that might be the combo, already have trailer set up for garden work but getting more pergola guttering jobs that I enjoy and $$$$ are awesome

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Yep I'd be going a FG ute with an alloy tray/canopy/ladder rack etc. if you want something more comfortable than a tradie ute/van. That said most of my mates now including myself have moved towards having a daily/work car then weekenders/cars for enjoying the rest of the time. As especially as a tradie its very hard to get a compromise in the middle that does both well.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I drive through some twisty bits in hills for work so after something I can still enjoy(maybe that doesn't exist)

This is the answer.....an engaging drive with plenty of room for shelving, huge roof space for carrying long items and will easily tow a decent size trailer.

"The most fantastic vehicle ever imagined"

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Guess you didn't know it is illegal to carry oxy/acetylene cylinders inside a van.

Guess you didn't know that if you are using what is known as a gas cabinet, and follow a few simple guidelines that it is an acceptable form of storage and transport of gas cylinders in an enclosed vehicles.
These gas cabinets are available from your gas suppliers and workplace health & safety equipment suppliers.

Edit:
There is danger involved with the transport of any type and size of gas cylinder, no matter what type of vehicle is being used.

Last edited:

Mike Litherous

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ssv
What lengthy gear can you get on racks

Anything 3m is fine. I sometimes carry 4m lengths of small dia pvc and they are fine at freeway speeds if braced with a ladder or timber.

I’ve recently had 10x 140x45 @ 6m long timber beams. Just a short distance they were fine but not at freeway speeds and probably not ideal with about 1.5m overhanging the rear.

I prob wouldn’t use your pristine Ute for trade work. Buy a std or mild modified one. Perferably 18” wheels so u can use 100 load rated tyres