Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Trailer lights wiring loom

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
Hi, My vn wagon didnt come with a towbar or the pin-out plug for the lights. Once i get the towbar sorted, how do i go about tackling the wiring for the lights? Is there provision in the wiring for the taillights for a factory wiring loom i could maybe source from holden? If not im pretty competant in doing these things, where could i source an aftermarket plug and wiring for it? My old man has these little things that look like clips with a metal pin inside them, which can be used to tap into a wire which would make things easier for this type of thing.

Cheers

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
your dads talkin about "scotch locks" i wouldnt recomend them. They dont make good contact at times causing problems in the wireing.
dont know about a factory loom, but they are pretty easy to make.
Just buy a plug and a meter of 5 or 7 core wire and install it yourself. 7 core if you want to have accessory power to a fridge or something, usually in a caravan. 5 core if you just need basic trailer wires(2 blinkers,brake,tail and earth). The earth will be white not black like in the car.
I tap into the wires near my tail lights and solder all my joins.
I dont know how wagon wireing goes but you should be able to find the main loom that goes to the back and join into it easily.

adam69

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Clubby
My VQ has a trailer plug thet plugs into the RHS tail light loom.Dont know if its factory but the plug is the same as the plug that joins the tail light loom to the car.
Hope this makes sense.
Adam.

H

HATER VP

Ive got a loom that plugs i n between the tail light connectors if you want it.

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
hatervp said:
Ive got a loom that plugs i n between the tail light connectors if you want it.

thanks hatervp, i might just take you up on that offer, Let me check the wiring i know they run up the RHS as i saw them when installing rear speakers, although i didnt notice any spare plugs i will check again to be sure. If it doesnt have anything there then dont worry about it mate, I will just go and buy a kit.

cheers

chopsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S2/ Original XRGT
I've got the same thing as Adam69 i picked it up from pick a part you can plug and unplug it straiate from the tail light loom.When you want to tow plug it in and have it coming out of the boot to the trailer when finmnished just sit it back in the boot or unplug it all togeather.I rather like it as i dont really like the idea of mounting the plug to the rear bumper or so.But if you dont know what color wire goes where if your buying a new plug it'll be on the back of the packet what each wire is for and where it go's.

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
chopsy said:
I've got the same thing as Adam69 i picked it up from pick a part you can plug and unplug it straiate from the tail light loom.When you want to tow plug it in and have it coming out of the boot to the trailer when finmnished just sit it back in the boot or unplug it all togeather.I rather like it as i dont really like the idea of mounting the plug to the rear bumper or so.But if you dont know what color wire goes where if your buying a new plug it'll be on the back of the packet what each wire is for and where it go's.

Would that be the same for the wagon? The annoying thing is that i put a speaker where the access hole is to the wiring and theres extra bracing for it covering this:b: hopefully the opening is still big enough or I will have to drill out those rivets:b:

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok, I got my hands on a brand new genuine holden, towing wiring loom (the Flat 7 pin type) For the wagon owners out there it would be a great help if you you know where exactly it plugs into, i cant seem to locate where it goes to, there are some unused rubber gromets underneath but they dont seem to go anywhere.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me out. :thumbsup:

crazyspoon05

Penguin Whisperer
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VW Golf GTI (RIP The 'Bizta' VNVPVR Wagz)
Mine runs from the top of the towbar and then up through the spare wheel well (the rubber grommet on the drivers side of the wheel well and then runs into the RHS tail light loom, not sure of how it's wired on and won't get a chance to take the trim off tonight but may get a chance to tomorrow...