Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Trailer Sway control

BrownieVFSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
Hi Guys, towing a boat up the NSW north coast next weekend and wondering if anyone has has experience with the sway control? Anything to suggest? I'm an experienced trailer driver but wonder if there are any strange things to look out for.
Cheers

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
speed, balanced load, tyre pressures, these are the norm that will affect towing

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
Is there some type of attachment you can put on a trailer to help with sway control??

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Is there some type of attachment you can put on a trailer to help with sway control??

When I towed Cars on Trailers in the late 60's, all we used were Level Ride Bars, and made sure the weight distribution was slightly biased toward the Tow Bar.
Nowdays there are anti Sway setups which, as a Mate found out, don't work all that well if you don't have Common Sense.
He wrote off the Car and Caravan, but only because he put a large Ali Box on the rear of the Van, then proceeded to fill it with Blow Up Boat, Outboard, BBQ, etc etc.
I believe the OP is referring to a Control within the Vehicle.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
There is a Weight Distribution Hitch that a few companies do, the Hayman Reese one is good, they have 3 weight variants. This helps with sway. But if the boat is loaded correctly and the tyre pressures are right as already said, then it will be fine.

How heavy is the total combined weight of the boat and trailer?

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
I think he is talking about the trailer sway control that is advertised as a safety feature of the VF model.

Davison

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16
edit- dw, why do i bother, google it next time.

Last edited:

jeepyrocks

Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW 535D, VR V6 Ute
It will only do its thing if you get a decent dose of the sways- it cuts power and applies opposing brakes to bring her back into line.

I "think" I noticed it towing a furniture trailer with my Grand Cherokee- had bad cross winds that day and a few times I felt a light tugging sensation from the car like the brakes had come on and the power reduced; no warning lights or chimes though. Drove normally and it did it easy.
Just tow like any other time and enjoy the added margin of safety.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Or you can use the manual control on electric brakes. I have to do this towing the camper trailer. It's a big trailer, about 1600kg loaded, (in terms of a camper trailer) and going down hill the trailer tends to push the car so it starts to sway. I pull the manual button across activating the trailer brakes and it stops the sway.