Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Trailer wiring harness (genuine) - plug and play?

saroadie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 Storm
I've got a new genuine 1600kg towbar and wiring harness which are all genuine Holden to fit to my SV6 sedan.

Is anyone able to confirm if the wiring harness/module is plug and play in terms of brake/indicator light function or is there some programming of the car's BCM required after hooking up the harness?

I know about setting the park assist to "on with a tow bar" in MyLink when the tow bar tongue/ball is fitted to the car. Just want to know if there's any Canbus issues with the brake/indicator lighting I'm going to encounter which require a dealer to change settings in the car's BCM.

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
When I had my Towbar fitted, VFS1, the dealer said the BCM needed to be made aware that there would be extra lighting load in the parkers and brake circuits.
I think he said if I fitted the bar myself, there would be a workshop fee to program the BCM - about $100 from memory.

Got them to do the install in the end.

saroadie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 Storm
Thanks diysv6.

I've heard different outcomes for different cars, some requiring a BCM change, others not.

Towbar etc is here on the workshop floor at home so the install will be by me. Guess I'll have to see what happens.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Wiring harness has the module in it to supply the trailer lights/power

Maloo37

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais, VF2 SSVR UTE
I have factory fitted tow package on my VF2 redline and it all worked no problems just connected up trailer. The only thing I had to do was use an adapter as the factory light connection is rectangle shape instead of round.
No reprogramming anything

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
When I had my Towbar fitted, VFS1, the dealer said the BCM needed to be made aware that there would be extra lighting load in the parkers and brake circuits.
I think he said if I fitted the bar myself, there would be a workshop fee to program the BCM - about $100 from memory.

Got them to do the install in the end.

The dealer told you rubbish, the module which is part of the genuine wiring kit caters for additional load. I fitted a towbar and genuine wiring kit to a VE SV6 no problem. Only thing I could anticipate perhaps is that reversing sensors beeping when the trailer is present. My VE didn't have reversing sensors, so I had no such problem.

duaned

Reaction score
Members Ride
M6 Red Hot MSE
A friend and I fitted a 1600kg towbar and genuine harness to his VF SSV and he had to visit the dealer for some programming to get it to work correctly.

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
Bugger.
From members replies, not all Commodores VE, VF and variants are made equal and can be treated by the same methods.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
VE was plug and play including models with reverse sensors. When trailer plug plugged in it disables the reverse sensors.
Don't know about VF...

saroadie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 Storm
Rang service at my dealer this morning.
They reckon that as far as install goes it will be plug and play. The issue I will encounter is that when reversing, the reverse park assist will beep a continual tone.
This is what the BCM requires adjusting to eliminate, so no reason not to install and drive.
The BCM reset is a 30 minute drop-in job for $66.00. Sounds cool.
I'll report back after installing/visiting the dealer.