Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

trannie swap?

Hann][bal

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Equipe
to start with i know what i propose is expensive and nightmarish when it cames to electronics so though crazy it's something i am truly dedicated to doing

ok i have a vyII coming into my possession in the next few days, it was my fathers and he is leaving to travel around australia ( lucky dog retired at 52 and plenty of money to enjoy the rest of his life) so he has a 4X4 and doesn't need the commodore. i currently drive a magna v6 3.0 litre. i have an interchangeble air bag suspension kit (i bought a kit that, combined with the way i installed {im a fabricator :yahoo:} will go straight on to the commodore {planned ahead :yahoo:}) i have an 8 inch LCD touchscreen, and a home made car computer {im also an IT pro double :yahoo:{i swear that was the last yahoo sign}) as well as a few choice other options just kicking around in my garage that i've collected off various commodores.

now for the question. well first a statement. i know that with manuals what i propose is possible but thats a little different. im intending on replacing the automatic gearbox with a ..... this sounds stupid to my own ears.... a 6 speed tiptronic transmission from a VE (dont know difference between sv6 and SS transmissions on the VE's).
now with a transfer plate and a lot of wiring and probably some programing and maybe a visit from my uncle's scrutineer's or HRT mates. is this possible?

any idea's on what sort of work im looking at, i know of stated wiring and programming but what sort of wiring changes will be required?
any help is appreciated

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
i guess anything is possible if you throw enough time and money at it.

by my reasoning, a tiptronic transmission is just a automatic with a full manual operation mode (via either steering wheel paddles or fancy shifter). so to make it work first you would need get the transmission to work in automatic mode. It may be easier to use the PCM from a VE and convert it to suit the engine in the VY rather then trying to re-invent the wheel by trying to make the VY PCM to run the late model transmission.

Then again, why not trade in the VY for a VE with the engine/trans combo you want and then fit the bags to that?

Hann][bal

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Equipe
Im doing this way because i prefer the look and feel of the vy but dont really like the auto box that it comes with

on a second note i was also looking at a semi auto trannie( auto combined with clutch manual)

putting in the ve pcm would probably save me some time thanks for the idea i was going to spend 3 months manually rightinh up a program for engine management

ajvx01

Reaction score
Members Ride
308 vc
why not just gut the vy of it,s driveline and put a full ve set up in? Loom, ecu, engine, trans etc..?
That'l give you the better box, a sweet new sidi motor and something very unique.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
why not just gut the vy of it,s driveline and put a full ve set up in? Loom, ecu, engine, trans etc..?
That'l give you the better box, a sweet new sidi motor and something very unique.

I was thinking along those lines - but with a VZ calais or SV6 engine and box combo. It would be a straight swap into a VY as it's the same body and would be free of any headaches.

Cracka

Banned :P
Reaction score
Members Ride
Old Sneakers
why not put the money/time and effort into upgrading the VY auto into something that suits your needs more, 1000's of upgrades and improvements can be done to the box.

Just a thought.