Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tranny blow back

Phillbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Ute, VX SS
The story so far....
I just purchased a vs ute in Bundaburg Qld about 5 hrs drive north of me, organized to have it transported back home but when the tow truck picked it up it is blowing tranny fluid out the filler stem and all over the motor and underneath the car in which the transport company wont take it. So for now it's stuck at the tow yard. Oh i did try to organize the local automatic to have a look but they can't until late next week. So im off in the early morning to go up there to see if i can do anything,

Blowing fluid out the filler stem causes

Over filled tranny? Can drain a bit and all would be good to go again, the owner told me he did a service on it 3 days before i purchased it, said it was in good cond, simple mistake maybe.

Pumps gone in tranny and box is stuffed? I would have to tow it home myself on a trailer, after paying for a carrier

Any other suggestion would be helpful

Brysha89

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman L98 6.0ltr
If it was put on a tow truck to transport to you did they ask if the car could start and drive? if so they would of tried to drive it up the back of the truck and there is the problem of why they wont tow it for you.
If fluid is coming out of the filler steam its most likely over full, was this an online purchase or in person? if in person i would assume you took it for a test drive and you would of felt the transmission slipping if there was a problem with it or the pump.
if online then you will have to go look at it your self but you probably guessed rite of over filled and they would have drove up on the truck

Phillbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Ute, VX SS
i got it site unseen, the last owner insists there was nothing wrong with it
Im hoping it is such a simple fix

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I wonder if a cooler line has leaked or been fitted the wrong way round that would squirt oil every where. May not even be coming out the filler tube. A blocked vent will cause it but you'd expect the trans to build pressure before it affected it.

Phillbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Ute, VX SS
Losh the tow truck driver had a look and said it was fro the stem, i thought at first a loose hose/line but not the case

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Have to wonder then if the PO switched the lines accidently when he serviced it.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Thank goodness this thread turned out different to its title.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
backin-my-day-blowin-a-tranny-was-car-trouble-back-34183237.png

Phillbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Ute, VX SS
lol

An update on this drama.... ended up getting a mobile mechanic to have a look at it, he checked it out and said the level was low and it was when you turn the car off that it sprayed fluid out the stem and all over the engine bay. He cleaned it up best he could. Also now it's not drive able as there are no gears now.

Seems my last resort is to drive up there and tow it back myself