Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

TRanny oil

nmj

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Acclaim S2
i want to get transmission oil for me commy, i dnt kow how to drain thefluid, and then re-fill it with the redline, to make it a harder, faster shift..

has anyone done this and worked out how to..

if so give give uz a post..

cheerz guys

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
You have to remove the pan (the cover at the bottom of the tranny) Put a large container under the tranny to catch the fluid. Remove the front and side bolts and undo the rear bolts a few turns, then tap the side of the pan to break the seal, (at this point the fluid will start to flow out) then gradually undo the remaining bolts and remove the pan. It's a messy job if you are not careful.
There will still be fluid in the torque converter though.

nmj

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Acclaim S2
do i have to remove the fluid from the torque converter ?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
If you want to change all the fuild, then yes. The converter holds about 3 litres.
Do a search on this forum, there is a thread somewhere which explains how to empty the converter.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
errr a simpel fluid change from one company to another will not give you harder faster shifts....

Hairy Eater

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Executive V6
i seen here somewhere where you can but a switch with a resister, wiring, instructions.... cos the tranny is electrical operated, with the switch on drivers here said they are chirping the wheels when hitting second gear.... its aust made.... think it cost around $80,,,,, i'll see if i can find the site...

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Hairy Eater said:
i seen here somewhere where you can but a switch with a resister, wiring, instructions.... cos the tranny is electrical operated, with the switch on drivers here said they are chirping the wheels when hitting second gear.... its aust made.... think it cost around $80,,,,, i'll see if i can find the site...

I'll stick with having the box built to shift hard. Overrides are ok for occasions, but it isnt good for a standard box.

maxbow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Wagon
Smile This is how Holden does it.

I really don't know about others, but this is cut and paste from Holden. This is a tranny service on car. It's what I've done to mine ( bar a couple of tips from a mate who works for holden) three times in 150,000 klms. My tranny shifts like new. Good luck, hope this helps someone, Max.
3.1 FLUID CHANGE AND FILTER REPLACEMENT

NOTE:To avoid personal injury from accidental hot oil spillage, perform fluid change only when transmission fluid is cold. 1. Raise vehicle and support on safety stands. Refer to Section 0A, GENERAL INFORMATION for location of the recommended jacking points.
2. Clean all dirt from around oil pan and transmission case.3. Place drain tray under transmission.
4. Hold oil pan in place and, remove the oil pan bolts from the front and both sides.
5. Loosen the rear oil pan bolts by about 4 turns each and, while still supporting the oil pan, lightly tap the sides with a rubber hammer to break the gasket seal.
6. Lower the front of the oil pan and drain the fluid into a suitable container, then remove the oil pan from the transmission. Figure 7C4-3
7. Pull down and twist the filter to remove it from the transmission case
.8. Open the filter by prying the metal crimping away from the top of the filter and pull apart. Inspect the filter material for particles that may indicate evidence of a potential transmission problem. Examples of the type of material to look for, are; - Clutch friction material. - Bronze slivers, indicating bush wear. - Steel particles. Figure 7C4-4
9. Using suitable circlip pliers or a two legged puller ane slide hammer, such as Litchfield E6668 or other commercial equivalent, remove the filter seal. Take care not to scratch the oil pump bore during the process.NOTE:If scratched, fluid leakage could occur from this point, once the vehicle has been put back into service. Figure 7C4-5
10. Remove old oil pan gasket and discard.
11. Clean the transmission case, oil pan and oil pan gasket surface, drying with compressed air. Ensure that all traces of the old gasket are removed.

12. Lubricate a new filter seal with petroleum jelly (Vaseline or equivalent) and install into the oil pump bore, using a suitable sized socket or piece of tubing.
13. Install a new filter into the transmission case.
14. Check that magnet is functional and located in the designated position in the oil pan. Install new gasket and reinstall oil pan. Tighten bolts to specified torque. OIL PAN BOLT 9.5 - 13.8 TORQUE SPECIFICATION Nm
15. Lower vehicle and add approximately 4.8 litres (V6 engine) or 5.0 litres (V8 engine) of DexronÒ III automatic transmission fluid.
16. Operate the vehicle for about 24 km or until normal operating temperatures are reached. Check that there are no fluid leaks from the oil pan area.
17. Check transmission fluid level, refer 2.1 FLUID LEVEL CHECK in this Section. Figure 7C4-6
This was posted elsewhere as well hope it helps.:thumbsup:

grafxworld

KLRBASS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT GTR EXEC S1 - SOLD off
Redline oil will change the way the car shifts , it's one of the best oils you can use. make sure you get the one for auto boxes and not manual or kiss the autobox goodbye.
it has something to do with the fluid dynamics of the oil and the way it flows without foaming up at high temps. oh and it will make it run much cooler.
this oil actually fixed up a scratchy second gear in my mazda about 40k on it it would shift into 2nd would grind(manual tranny) after putting in that oil the problem was gone for good, you could shift at 9k and it would scratch the synchros .... I had the car for 11 years and it never acted up again. the dealer said the tranny was stuffed.... wouldn't call it majic oil but it worked wonders.