Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[350] trans and diff to match 383 stroker, help?

amos_executive

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
so i'm starting to slowly get my sh!t together, and needa just start getting bits n bobs in.

got a 383 stroker and just needing some help/advice on trans and diff to go with it.

looking at either a 6 speed 6L80 or a 4 speed 4L60E, all worked with heavy duty internals high stall etc. how would either of them go with a 383 stroker? leaning to the 6 speed.

and as for diff, ford 9 inch? or something else?

any help would be awesome,

Thanks

Kernal

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo 400, 4500 stall, 4.11 arse end.

amos_executive

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Turbo 400, 4500 stall, 4.11 arse end.

did have a shop recommend a turbo 400, how easy to install in a vz?

How wild is the engine? Some specs would be nice....

What car is it in? What do you want to do with it? So many variables.

it'll be going in a vz executive, plan is to take the 383 out of the old boy and replace that with a 427, and to stick the 383 in the vz.

at the moment its a stock V6, so planning on getting all the driveline etc sorted before i get the new engine and can do the swap.

the engine isn't very wild yet, i'm planning on getting it dynod sometime in the coming month to help plan it a bit better, but when i do get it in the vz planning on 4-500 horses at the wheels, so something that can easily handle that sort of power

thanks for the replies guys

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Ahh context, so we're talking a 383 stroker LSX? I assumed by posting it in the V8 section and not the LS section we were talking about a 383 Holden stroker...Anyway, for that sort of power the only auto i can think of that would take that power RELIABLY would be a Turbo 400. My advice would also be to steer clear of the big converters, i wouldn't go any bigger than about a 3000-3500 converter for a regularly driven street car. Any bigger than that and it just detracts from the driving experience IMO.

As for the diff, you havn't really got a lot if choice with IRS, i just stick with the standard diff with a good locker centre (read: not a spool) and new gears.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

amos_executive

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Ahh context, so we're talking a 383 stroker LSX? I assumed by posting it in the V8 section and not the LS section we were talking about a 383 Holden stroker...Anyway, for that sort of power the only auto i can think of that would take that power RELIABLY would be a Turbo 400. My advice would also be to steer clear of the big converters, i wouldn't go any bigger than about a 3000-3500 converter for a regularly driven street car. Any bigger than that and it just detracts from the driving experience IMO.

As for the diff, you havn't really got a lot if choice with IRS, i just stick with the standard diff with a good locker centre (read: not a spool) and new gears.

its a 350 chevy small block, which has been stroked to 383

yeah i was thinking around a 3500-4000 converter, even though with the v6 its not an LSD?

blahhhh turbo 400 1:1 fail

those 4l60e's can be built pretty well now. personally id go for that over t400. especially if you want 4.11 diff gears. lacking 0.7:1 would suck arse with 4.11's

have heard 4l60e's done right can handle a fair bit of punishment, any news on the newer 6 speed 6l80's?

again thanks for the help everyone

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
What a bloody confusing thread....Might have helped if all that info was in the first post. So, it's obviously not going to be a driver with an early small block in a VZ.

Don't listen to Ari, a 3 speed auto is fine. He's talking fuel economy mode :p With a 383, fuel economy isn't much of a problem now is it? It's going to be thirsty no matter what. I'd just stick a Turbo 400 in and be done with it. The other option is a Turbo 350, but that'll struggle with 500HP at the treads. However, 500HP at the treads is a fairly big ask out of a naturally aspirated 383. 500HP at the flywheel is probably more realistic and a Turbo 350 will handle that. A Turbo 350 is also lighter than a Turbo 400 and will take less power to turn.

All this i moot though IMO, i'd leave the VZ as is and get a car than can have a Small Block Chev legally.

amos_executive

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
What a bloody confusing thread....Might have helped if all that info was in the first post. So, it's obviously not going to be a driver with an early small block in a VZ.

Don't listen to Ari, a 3 speed auto is fine. He's talking fuel economy mode :p With a 383, fuel economy isn't much of a problem now is it? It's going to be thirsty no matter what. I'd just stick a Turbo 400 in and be done with it. The other option is a Turbo 350, but that'll struggle with 500HP at the treads. However, 500HP at the treads is a fairly big ask out of a naturally aspirated 383. 500HP at the flywheel is probably more realistic and a Turbo 350 will handle that. A Turbo 350 is also lighter than a Turbo 400 and will take less power to turn.

All this i moot though IMO, i'd leave the VZ as is and get a car than can have a Small Block Chev legally.

yeah sorry mate, should've put more in the original post, get forgetfull after a few brewskies by the beach though ;)

thanks for all your help

haha nah deffinatley not sweating the fuel economy, if i wanted that id keep it a stock 6

i'd love to just got get a brand new hsv but i've decided a house over a new car, which leaves the new engine for the old girl and a transplant for the plastic baby in my price range, realistically i should keep the 6 as my daily, but really it bores me, already got a nice cruiser, i want something i can take the drags and for the speed, also the look on people faces when a executive gives the ss' a fair run, have thought about a second hand vz ss though to be the replacement, but still i'd need/want to upgrade the trans and such

either way i wanna know what i want for the driveline before i decide on the car i want for the transplant, how would they go fitting in a gemini? :p seen a rolling shell for cheap, could be a fun idea

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

^^ yeah this.

i also assumed you were going late model 383, and was gonna be a driver.

if thats not the case then yeah a t400 is reputedly a good box.

but why bother? SBC's are pretty friggin heavy compared with an LS, and you can pick up LS's for cheap enough. i think you will be surprised that the sbc will be a bit of a slug compared to your competitors.