Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Trans cooler - Bypass or run inline with radiator

Trans cooler setup

• Bypassed (Direct from trans to cooler)

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Inline (run through both the cooler and the radiator)

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Hi Guys,

Thought I'd put a quick poll up. Everyone seems to have different opinions on the matter.

What does everyone recommend for a trans cooler, bypass the radiator completely to avoid milkshaking the trans.

Or keep it running inline with the radiator.

I'm upgrading mine to a beefier PWR cooler getting ready for summer and would like to bypass the radiator as I've seen what can happen when the internal tanks let go. But am unsure if this will keep the trans cool enough in 40+ degree SA weather (I'm running a stock 4L60E, which a few km behind it).

Thanks all

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
If you're able to spend a bit more on a large auxiliary cooler and have the room to mount one separately you're better off doing that. I've done it both ways. Seems pretty rare for the radiators to split between oil/coolant anyway. Currently I'm running the factory cooler along with an additional cooler.

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
On my VN I had it set up bypassed as the gearbox was replaced with a second hand "no warranty" one because I was in a hurry.

Saw it the other day, (Mechanics son owns it now) still rocking the same set up, right down to the" suspect" gearbox.
I trust the factory radiator cooling setup in the 2gens about as much as I can throw the entire car one handed.

I mounted my trans cooler so it was visible through the grill for both maximum coolness of the car and gearbox.

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
If you want to cool your Auto Transmission on a 40 degree day, your choices would be running the transmission fluid through a separate air cooled radiator which is in 40 degree air or run the transmission fluid through the inbuilt radiator tanks which are 100 degrees. Hmmmn, which one to choose?

Well if you bypass the radiator you will have two pairs of connections so you could do two transmission coolers. If you have decided to segregate then you can get a PWR for manual car and you will have more volume of coolant in the radiator for the engine (because those oil cooler tanks have to take up some volume space in there.

You can get thermo fans for your twin oil coolers.

The cops will check your car looking for the turbos because two big oilcoolers up front will look like twin SICs o_Oo_O

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Crappy pics, but it was all I could find

Attachments

• Fog lights.jpg
    Fog lights.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 452
  • DSC02013.JPG
    DSC02013.JPG
    287.2 KB · Views: 413

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
Not sure why you posted pics of your car? Unless you want to show the limited front ventilation because driving lights?

You could run a couple of these
images

since they are black, less noticeable and won't be mistaken for intercoolers by cops.

Might be a good idea to screen the front of these with stainless steel mesh to protect from stone chips.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Not sure why you posted pics of your car? Unless you want to show the limited front ventilation because driving lights?

You could run a couple of these
images

since they are black, less noticeable and won't be mistaken for intercoolers by cops.

Might be a good idea to screen the front of these with stainless steel mesh to protect from stone chips.
What are you talking about? Stockies posted pics so that you can see where he mounted the cooler. Those lights won't hinder air flow at all and aren't inline with the radiator anyway.

Can't see any reason you'd be pulled up for having a transmission cooler, regardless of the colour.

You don't need to run multiple coolers, just run one that's adequately sized.

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo

Calm down, was only to show a mounting option.
And if you think a set of driving lights will block ventilation, your need your head examined

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
My 2 cents worth........
Bypass the radiator and go straight to the cooler

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Bypass the radiator. Your radiator temperature can run between 90 and 105 degrees consistently, the trans temp can range about the same, but unlike an engine, the cooler it runs, the better it is for it. And engine is more efficient when it's hot, a trans isn't.