Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Trans fluid change

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
Did a trans fluid change on my vy v6 the dipstic was showing full but there was very little in the pan even after taking the filter out was wondering what this might be ...on a side note i switched on the car for few seconds a couple of times and more pumped out think i managed to get about 3 or so litres total this way closer to what it should be

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Fluid is contained in the torque converter and doesn't really come out from just dropping the pan. You would usually get it out by flushing a few cycles of fluid through the trans.

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
Still should of been around 3 or so litres in pan from what i gather

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Few seconds wont do nothing, 5 minuets and go through the gears. Oh and leave the engine running while checking.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Really I am not knowing but are you saying 5 min without pan on. sounds dodgy to me
Who and were does it say the pan is not on? Who leaves a pan off while filling up a transmission?
Car has to be running and warm and on a flat surface to get the correct reading, also go through the gears to fill all the clutch packs and valve body lines. If you want to flush it out remove the drivers side ( return line ) hose from the radiator side and pump it out adding a few litters of clean fluid to pump it all out of the torque converter. (With Pan on and car running), then remove the pan change the filter and seal in the pick up hole ( careful not scratching the sides of the wall ) then replace pan gasket and do it back up. Add new fluid until its on the cold line, start car warm it up going through the gears let it sit for 5min running pull the stick and add fluid until it reaches the hot line, take it for a drive pull up on a flat surface and test again adding more fluid if needs be. Don't forget to put the hose back on first.

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
My bad did not read properly and misunderstood thanks for the correct procedure

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
Thanks realy just wanted know if starting it with the pan off was a bad thing and where all the fluid was should of been atleast 3 litres in pan when i took it off

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Yes there should have been several litres in the pan when you took it off. Check the level using the dipstick with the engine warm and running in park, and car parked somewhere flat as said above and add more fluid until level is full.