Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

trans fluid out of filler neck

brenns78

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore vs (restore)
hi guys, just did a trans service on the vs.... new filter and fluid.... took about 3ltrs. Anyway as soon as I started her up and went for a drive she started acting up.... i.e. slipping.... getting stuck etc... got her home and noticed smoke coming out engine bay.... popped lid and tranny fluid was on fire on the garage floor and had obviously been pushed out of filler neck....,. wtf have I done wrong? Did this a while back and had no probs.

drewVHSS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
stores.ebay.com.au
Members Ride
'83 VH SS, '79 Green VB SL '92 S2 VQ Caprice
apart from having too much fluid in the box, the only reason why you should get excessive pressure/and/or/fluid coming out of the dipstick tube is if the breather pipe on the top of the box has been blocked somehow.
On a mates vr wagon we had this problem, the rubber breather hose has a metal hook end on it, it managed to dislodge from where it's supposed to sit and dragged on the ground and the end got sealed up enough to block it.
The box kept blowing fluid out the dipstick tube, took us ages to figure it out.

brenns78

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore vs (restore)
thnx for the reply.... thinking that maybe the filter hasn't been seated properly and has fallen into sump.... could this cause similar issues? btw the car wont move at all now it just revs.