Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

trans fluid pushed back out?!?!?!

GAMBLR

More trouble than u think
Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ Calais LS1
Hey there everyone

I'm in need of some fairly urgent help. For some reason during the past week, the VS has been squirting transmission fluid back up through the spout in the engine bay, pushing the red locking cap and dipstick out of the way in the process. all three times i drove it, car was cold and i wasn't pushing it harder than usual. yet i drove it over 400km on the weekend after the first time it happened, not a problem.
before anyone tells me that was stupid, i ran the car for a good hour before i travelled and nothing happened, so i assumed it was a once off.

i have checked the trans cooler breather lines (2) near the radiator, but yet to do anything else. this obviously didn't solve the problem. anyone who might know what the problem is and how to fix please let me know. i believe there is another breather line attached to the actual trans under the car but yet to check that one

Cheers guys
CC

camstatic

I'm back babeh.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
How long since you've serviced it? I've heard a blocked filter can cause that.

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
Not a trans person but to check the obvious - could it be massively overfilled?

GAMBLR

Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ Calais LS1
How long since you've serviced it? I've heard a blocked filter can cause that.

have heard that too, getting a new filter at lunch time cos my mate is having a look at it for me. hasn't been done in over 3 years since i bought it, but it has only done 30k km since i got it, so it's probably around due. i was told every 30-40k to get it done

Not a trans person but to check the obvious - could it be massively overfilled?

not as far as i'm aware, i filled it not long ago to where it needed it, and i did it properly, as in add some, run through the gears to flush it through the system and add more if it needed it.
not as a dig, but how could overfilling it cause it to do this? and it hasn't been topped up for ages, so why has it only started it now? more questions, not enough answers lol

cheers heaps guys

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
It can happen if the transmission oil cooler which is inside the radiator side tank develops a leak - coolant is then forced into the transmission and when the fluid reaches 100 degrees C the coolant boils and forces the dipstick off.
The other cause is when the breather hose gets blocked - wasps build nests there plus they do get clogged for whatever reason.
Final reason is when the transmission is pushed or very worn and the oil overheats and boils pushing the dipstick out though generally the breather can handle that.
Good Luck.

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
not as a dig, but how could overfilling it cause it to do this? and it hasn't been topped up for ages, so why has it only started it now? more questions, not enough answers lol

cheers heaps guys

No idea mate, just chucked an idea based on what you originally posted.

GAMBLR

Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ Calais LS1
It can happen if the transmission oil cooler which is inside the radiator side tank develops a leak - coolant is then forced into the transmission and when the fluid reaches 100 degrees C the coolant boils and forces the dipstick off.
The other cause is when the breather hose gets blocked - wasps build nests there plus they do get clogged for whatever reason.
Final reason is when the transmission is pushed or very worn and the oil overheats and boils pushing the dipstick out though generally the breather can handle that.
Good Luck.

cheers hako. i personally have no idea, im not cluey when it comes to engines and trans, so any help i can get is a bonus. info is really helpful cheers mate

No idea mate, just chucked an idea based on what you originally posted.

no worries. again, not having a dig, more like 'would you know why...' kinda thing. cheers anyway

just went and picked up the trans service kit and a bottle of fluid. take it to my mates after work and pray it works...

cheers again guys

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
As I suggested before, check the breather - it's the black rubber hose in the general whereabouts of the bellhousing...if it can't breath the only escape for the fluid which expands with temperature is up the dipstick. Don't try to clear the breather tube by blowing up the tube as that just blows crap into the trans - remove the hose to clean.
Another possible is the actual dipstick - if you look at it closely you will see the it has one or two (not sure) "O" rings which are squashed when you flip that toggle lock thing. If the "O" rings go hard with age they will not compress and expand when the dipstick is locked...and if they don't expand they don't seal or grip the filler tube - result id that the dipstick creeps up the tube.

GAMBLR

Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ Calais LS1
As I suggested before, check the breather - it's the black rubber hose in the general whereabouts of the bellhousing...if it can't breath the only escape for the fluid which expands with temperature is up the dipstick. Don't try to clear the breather tube by blowing up the tube as that just blows crap into the trans - remove the hose to clean.
Another possible is the actual dipstick - if you look at it closely you will see the it has one or two (not sure) "O" rings which are squashed when you flip that toggle lock thing. If the "O" rings go hard with age they will not compress and expand when the dipstick is locked...and if they don't expand they don't seal or grip the filler tube - result id that the dipstick creeps up the tube.

cheers hako. i wasn't too sure about it all, so i had my mate's dad check and service the trans for me. i didn't think it was bad as it was, but it was done thursday night and the trans has never run more smoothly.
as for the "O" rings, i think mine have both come off, so will have to replace them asap.
again cheers for the help guys, much appreciated

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
That's great news....nothing like followup. If the "O" rings are missing that will certainly cause the dipstick to ride up the tube.