Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transbrake and Line locker

G4orce

HSV Owner
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
Vy Senator Signature 5.7lt auto
I have done a little research on line lockers and transbrakes but i am still unsure of what they actually do. As far a s I know, the transbake acts as a clutch for an automatic gearbox and a line locker locks the brakes. Is that the purp :drink: ose for these mods?

Macca177

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman V8
havnt herd of the 1st(but i think i may have a theroy) but the 2nd - line locker is a term/type of burnout.

basiclly using/adjusting how much brake to keep the car not movin too much while ya right foots going all out trying to destroy your tyers(and cars most the time)

edit - im wrong ignore me :whistling

Last edited:

VY2ENJOY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Family Truckster
A line locker is not a term/type of burnout, it is a solonoid (usually electric) that is connected to your rear brake line that disables the rear brakes, hence you can stand on your brake and gas pedal (to do a burnout) but you dont bugger your rear brakes or have any drag on the rear wheels (ie only the front brakes work). Not sure about trans brakes, but I think it is a device that is fitted in your transmition which locks it up so you can build the revs up to your stall speed and not have to push hard on the brake peddal and risk your car creeping over the start line (used for drag racing), can any one verify or correct this?. Any while we are on the subject, in cars with ABS does the ABS activate if you have a line locker turned on for a burn out?.

Cheers

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
yeah, the transbrake is a solenoid which holds first and reverse? open simultaneously, then when the solenoid is energised/de/energised, it slams reverse shut you have instant 1st and hopefully some traction...ha ha! and as for the ABS thing, i think it can try and activate the rear brakes, but if the line is locked, it aint doin squat.

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
ive also seen the line 'locked' in its literal sense. simply a little tap like you have on your house gas system or gas heater on the brake line so the fluid locks against it. fronts will still work backs wont. highly illegal and dangerous.

MoSkA

Steriotypical Wog
Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 Subaru WRX
vlv8vic said:
ive also seen the line 'locked' in its literal sense. simply a little tap like you have on your house gas system or gas heater on the brake line so the fluid locks against it. fronts will still work backs wont. highly illegal and dangerous.

Where can I get one?

Maimu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Commodore
VY2ENJOY said:
A line locker is not a term/type of burnout, it is a solonoid (usually electric) that is connected to your rear brake line that disables the rear brakes, hence you can stand on your brake and gas pedal (to do a burnout) but you dont bugger your rear brakes or have any drag on the rear wheels (ie only the front brakes work). Not sure about trans brakes, but I think it is a device that is fitted in your transmition which locks it up so you can build the revs up to your stall speed and not have to push hard on the brake peddal and risk your car creeping over the start line (used for drag racing), can any one verify or correct this?. Any while we are on the subject, in cars with ABS does the ABS activate if you have a line locker turned on for a burn out?.

Cheers
Nearly everything you said here is perfectly correct. However most Transbrakes i have seen, are actually something very similar to the brake setup on one of your wheels. ie disk and caliper. They fit a smaller, modified version to your tailshaft. Thereby locking the tailshaft, and transmission, holding the car in one spot while you build the revs ;)

As for the ABS question, Basically as my understanding ABS works by increasing, and decreasing the brake fluid pressure in your brake lines and calipers, there by applying the brakes on and off quickly to try and stop the wheels skidding , and losing traction.

So if you had the line locks turned on, in theory it shouldn't really affect how the ABS works. However braking ability will obviously be reduced greatly, because you rear brakes are no longer active. So your front wheels probably still wouldn't lock up. And well your back wheels will spin forever, cos at that point there is no brakes there.

If you want my advice i wouldn't be driving around with a line lock engaged.

Cheers

Maimu

MoSkA

Steriotypical Wog
Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 Subaru WRX
Nah that'd be dangerous and pretty dumb.

I'd love a line locker for my VN calais next week, but then again, VN calais should be able to get smoking pretty easy without one, so long as the 3.8 is in half decent condition.

P.S I do not endorse such stupid acts on public roads, I plan to head down to race/dyno/drag/burnout days at the racetracks around melbourne.

Also, what is recommended to strengthen the driveline so it can do burnouts without doing as much damage? Strengthened trans? Bigger diff?? How much would it cost too?

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
MoSkA said:
Nah that'd be dangerous and pretty dumb.

I'd love a line locker for my VN calais next week, but then again, VN calais should be able to get smoking pretty easy without one, so long as the 3.8 is in half decent condition.

P.S I do not endorse such stupid acts on public roads, I plan to head down to race/dyno/drag/burnout days at the racetracks around melbourne.

Also, what is recommended to strengthen the driveline so it can do burnouts without doing as much damage? Strengthened trans? Bigger diff?? How much would it cost too?
If you have any consideration for your brakes, you'll spend the $200 and get a proper line locker. Aparet from not screwing with your rotors, you'll be saving your pads in the long run aswell. come to think of it, over a year and my pads are still new, but i use my gearbox to slow down, not the brakes.
Its the cheapest form of locking your brakes, sure you could use clamps, but do that 4 or 5 times and your lines will be stuffed.

about what is involved, your best bet would be to buy another cheap car. Spmething like a VL mototr into a little carolla, and a welded diff, and your set!

VY2ENJOY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Family Truckster
Thanks Maimu, I have seen the trans brakes that you talked about but never realised that is what they were, I just thought they were a fancy handbrake!. Yes driving around with a linelock on would be a foolish thing to do, I was mainly curious if anything would happen with the ABS system whilst doing a burnout, but from you previous explanation I can't see how it would, thanks