Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transitioning from a Commodore to an EV

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
As per your 5c per kw/h,
Still not $60 per month.

Attachments

• 2C41681F-C70B-4854-9131-4040543DC391.jpeg
    2C41681F-C70B-4854-9131-4040543DC391.jpeg
    128.1 KB · Views: 27

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
Average cost per kw/h per state

Attachments

• CD6AE9CE-FEE8-41D3-96C0-38569D3BA559.jpeg
    CD6AE9CE-FEE8-41D3-96C0-38569D3BA559.jpeg
    230.6 KB · Views: 22

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
So you will only charge your cars @ 5c kw/h.
What days of the week is it that price ?

At the price, doesn’t sound like they will get charged to often.

There are such things as wholesale electricity pricing plans, and wholesale prices regularly go negative during the day due to all the renewables feeding electricity into the grid during the day. That means you get paid to recharge your car!

Also plenty of people have solar panels themselves and can charge for “zero cost” behind the meter, which is not actually zero cost as your forgoing the feed in tariff you would have got by exporting that electricity but still fairly cheap.

How about you try to keep up and actually understand what your commenting on rather that just being an old man yelling at a cloud.

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
I am well aware of the cost of kw/h and and wholesale costs,
And have kept up with the costing,
As I have a colleague that sells EV chargers.
Where as I am talking domestic installations and cost,
Being in the electrical trade for over 40 years, and don’t underestimate a “old man” with a lot of knowledge.
Which is not yelling at a cloud.
Where it was a return of 55c per kw/h a number years ago, and it would have been a good return to charge the vehicles,
But now your lucky to get 11c > 12c per kw/h.
If you take that into account,
And do the maths, it’s still not 5c per kw/h,

Whereas the payback from the Solar Cells on the roof, is coming to an end soon.

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Why are you arguing with someone who is giving you real world examples?

Theory and maths are fine but he's giving you real world numbers. Try reading the whole thread instead of just the bits you want to suit your narrative.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Stop watching sky news and reading Murdoch newspapers

chuck in costellos 9 and stokeses 7

i am glad some people see through the conservative media nexus in this country.
huge money in keeping the current system in place with trillions to be lost from fossil fuel companies if everything changes so the world is going to explode if we even think about straying from the current system, china might even invade or the boat people might make a return lol.

nice to see the ev thing is working out for you, i was thinking about the ev path when i sold the zb but because i am regional with not much ev infrastructure around here yet i decided to wait a few more years and just picked up a mitsu outlander.
3 to 5 years i will look at it again and hope things have moved along here more.

Paul Smedley

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY23 Tesla Model 3 RWD, MY23 Tesla Model Y RWD
The question was -

How much current do the units draw while charging?
And
How much currency do the units draw while on standby ?

Have you physically tested it ?
Why would I bother physically testing it? I can see household consumption via my powerwall. With isolation switch off, the charger draws 0A - it is OFF. When the charger is charging, it draws 32A or ~7kW (depending on the grid voltage at the time). I don't need to charge 8 hours per day, as I don't deplete the battery every day. Do you fill you car with a full tank of petrol every day? I charge approx once per week.

My $60/month is my TOTAL electricity bill. We use Amber Electric for wholesale access to NEM pricing. My personal best is being paid $8 to charge the car (and help the grid and avoid outages by soaking up excess energy).

Paul Smedley

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY23 Tesla Model 3 RWD, MY23 Tesla Model Y RWD
As per your 5c per kw/h,
Still not $60 per month.
As I said earlier 0 why are you using 8 hours a day for your example? 8 hours at 32A is enough to FULLY charge a Model 3 or Y RWD, enough for ~450+km.

Screenshot below is for part of today showing grid prices with Amber.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240404-174027.png
    Screenshot_20240404-174027.png
    325.9 KB · Views: 25

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I do recall testing some of the early EVs as part of a government trial. These were ‘prototype’ cars and registered as such. They weren’t the versions as released for retail sale here, but rather versions set up for overseas markets.

I did a pretty careful measurement of the charging profile of one of these vehicles. I don’t have the data at hand, but a couple of salient features do stick in my mind. Firstly, I was mostly interested in the power and energy use (from the supply recharging) and I noticed a small variation as the car charged. It wasn’t until I looked through the full dataset that I worked out why the power was varying a bit. The car was set up for the UK system, so it was programmed to draw 13A from the supply. The UK uses 13A as a standard outlet. The current draw was rock solid 13A (like 13.00A). But, as the supply voltage varied, the power also varied.

The other thing I recall, was once the car was fully charged, the power from the supply dropped to a surprising low level. I can’t recall the actual number, but it was something less than a watt.

For most users, regular slow charging is perfectly adequate, and very practical in a home environment. For people doing more than average mileage, then a higher capacity home changer is probably the way to go. The service-station-like fast-charging is really only required for extended-range travelling away from home when there isn’t any convenient overnight charging available, or when covering long distance in a short timeframe. The image of EVs lined up waiting for a recharge at a fast charger is a bit of an outlier situation. Most will be recharged at home.