Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transmission and economy?

boojak87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series II SS 5.7L
Howdy all. I'm just questioning if the transmission could play a part in poor fuel economy? My auto tranny is almost 100,000kms overdue for a service! :p And i think i'm finally going to get around to it. Do you think a service on the auto could also bring back some of the torque that's missing from my VS? I've driven both my old man's VT and my VS and with power to weight, mine should be shitting all over the VT. Butttt it's not quite so, acceleration seems to feel very lumpy and the accelerator pedal isn't as responsive as the VT. The other theory i had was maybe it was injectors, but still haven't got around to checking them out yet either! Any input would be great.

Thanks all,
Boojakz.

Slow VR

Another White Crummodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series II
Ive always thought that as well. My auto feels very lazy in it response, shifts are quite poor sometimes they are extremely firm other times very lazy. Also kickdown response can be poor as well.....?? Ive serviced mine however, but hasnt brought it back to life at all. Its just shagged!

Infus10n

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Captiva (Work Demo)
check how slack your accelerator cable is aswell if you feel the accelerator isnt as touchy. Adjust it accordingly.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
What is your economy like? What makes you think the injectors need a clean?

boojak87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series II SS 5.7L
14.5L/100kms. Was at 15.5L/100kms, ran a dose of injector cleaner through the system and instant improvement on the next tank. Also throttle response was marginally improved!

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
Well the 4L60e auto trans is pretty lazy, compared to other cars.

Simdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore
Hey guys....how do you adjust the accelerator cable on VR because i cant understand how to do it ???

boojak87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series II SS 5.7L
Well. Took the car in for a tranny service today. WOWEE! what a difference 1hr can make! She pulls really hard now, and chirps through the gears. Don't know whether this will help economy, but the torque i've regained is amazing! Lol well that's what you get for leaving your tranny 100,000kms overdue for a service! Will take the car back into mechanics on Friday to replace fuel filter as that has never been replaced in its life! (219,000kms old!). Will keep you all updated as to next litres per 100kms as of next tank and so on for the next couple of weeks.

Cheers,
Boojakz.

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
boojak87 said:
Well. Took the car in for a tranny service today. WOWEE! what a difference 1hr can make! She pulls really hard now, and chirps through the gears. Don't know whether this will help economy, but the torque i've regained is amazing! Lol well that's what you get for leaving your tranny 100,000kms overdue for a service! Will take the car back into mechanics on Friday to replace fuel filter as that has never been replaced in its life! (219,000kms old!). Will keep you all updated as to next litres per 100kms as of next tank and so on for the next couple of weeks.

Cheers,
Boojakz.

A fuel filter is $10 if you do it yourself, the mechanic will probably charge you $25. Its pretty easy changing the fuel filter!

boojak87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series II SS 5.7L
Yeahhh i know, actually paying $30, but i'd rather pay out the extra $20 and let them get their hands dirty. Also i got the reliability that if something ****s up, i can put the blame on them!

Cheers,
Boojakz.