Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transmission Cooler

ducatis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE
Hey everyone, im wanting to hook up a transmission cooler for my auto vt. how hard is it? and where do run the tubes too? ive already got the front bar off as i had to move my oil cooler over to make room for it.

Cheers Mitch

Hairy Eater

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Executive V6
do you have engine oil cooler ?... i got a factory trans cooler and it came with brackets but I havent fitted it yet.... you just discon the trans oil lines from the radiator then connect them to the oil cooler... I dont think it matters which line goes where.... oil in the top or bottom then out the return line to the trans.... you might need to buy line extensions or get new flexible lines fitted to your steel lines with proper fittings to hook up to the cooler ...

ducatis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE
Yeh i always thought it was a transmission cooler but i followed the lines and one goes to the right of the sump and the other goes into the oil filter. Maybe the previous owner changed it or something?

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
Supercharged commodores come standard with a trans cooler so you should be able to buy all the bits from a Holden dealer to just bolt straight up.

ducatis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE
well...it is a transmission cooler, found that from the fluid in it. got under the car also and the lines run right next to the oil filter which i thought weere connected to...

cheers mitch

nick_20

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt acclaim
it already has a trans cooler, it is built into the side of the radiator, the pipes go from the radiator to the drivers side of the transmition

minux

Infidel Bear
Reaction score
Members Ride
300rwkw FG G6ET/Specialized Tarmac SL4
nick_20 said:
it already has a trans cooler, it is built into the side of the radiator, the pipes go from the radiator to the drivers side of the transmition
Yep, it is a very stupid design, as i found out when the line ruptured in the lower tank sucking water through the transmission and most of the engine.

Full rebuild(which was coming anyway) manual radiator and a trans cooler later, i never have to worry about that again :)

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
Im guessing a Holden one would be very $$$$$$ but all the hoses would be there and formed up too suit the holes in the body for them to go through

nick_20

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt acclaim
cant be that stupid, all auto commadores and early holdens and falcons have thad this design as long as i can remember,

oztech007

Reaction score
Members Ride
15 VE SSV 6.0t V8 A6 SEDAN
What I always found strange is that the Trans Temp is usually supposed to be around 70 Degrees Celsius, and the Engine Temp gets up to 100 Degrees. So in effect, the Trans fluid would be getting heated going through the radiator cooler. Go Figure!!!