Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transmission fault

ringfeder3

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ssz crewman, wm caprice, 2018 prado, hq Belmont u
My car had a reco auto transmission fitted for the previous owner not too many kms ago and has worked well since I have had it.

Recently, however, it seems to have developed a fault.

The car seems to hold back a bit on changes, actually feels like the car is in neutral, before grabbing and 'clunking' hard into gear. Happens from standing starts such as traffic lights.

Seems to change down ok. Fluid levels are good and oil is clean.

Last week i stopped the car, turned it off then started it again and the problem was gone. Today, after not having driven it for a week, it did it again.
On this occasion however, the engine light did NOT come on. Last time it did.

Car is a VR V8 Calais. Babied, never driven hard.

Any ideas?

ringfeder3

Reaction score
Members Ride
Also has a slight but temporary driveline vibration at about 60 km/h. Unis have been replaced. I thought it may have been a worn centre bearing but it's not apparent at any other speed. Related perhaps?

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Sounds like either your TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) is faulty, or one or more of your shift solenoids might need to be replaced. Does it happen in all gear changes or mainly the 1->2 change?

Last edited:

ringfeder3

Reaction score
Members Ride
Development: car was a bit sluggish to start this afternoon. Noticed wipers were very slow, windows and sunroof were also slow. Engine light came on while I was driving it and transmission started holding in gear, revs would build up, then it would clunk into gear.

I stopped and turned it off, hoping to reset whatever fault it was (worked before) so I could get the car home and the car just clicked like the battery was dead.

Called NRMA road service. Turned out the alternator had failed. Wasn't charging battery.

The bloke jump started it, left it to idle for 5 mins and battery dropped 2 volts...

Mechanic reckoned this would have been the culprit for the transmission and electrical problems.

So off it went on a tow truck to be repaired on Monday.

Didn't explain the vibration but amazingly, after it had broken down, the power aerial, which had never worked since I've owned the car, started working faultlessly.... Go figure.