Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

transmission filter o-ring issue

PHAT_pudding

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive SII
hey guys, today i dropped the transmission fluid for the first time (for me) and everything was going smoothly until i removed the transmission oil filter.

the O ring on the end of the filter is stuck up inside the intake port. has anyone got any clue on how to get it out? i've tried the obvious bent wire trick, but i can't get a good grip on it.

i also tried taking the new o ring off the new filter and shoving it up in the port, but it doesn't go up far enough and the pan won't fit over it.

this is seriously ****ing me off, and i know its an easy fix. my last resort is cutting the rubber part of the ring, and then trying to pry out the metal part. but that is messy and could cause damage to the port.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I solved this problem by getting an old wire coathanger and cut a piece about 200mm long. Then I bent one end of the wire over at at a right angle....the bit bent is about 5mm. Then put the bent 5mm bit on something flat and solid like a towbar tongue or a vice and hammer this piece so that it spreads and flattens. Then try to remove by filing or sandpaper any sharpness on this flattened bit. The idea is that this flattened bit can then be gently hooked over the old hardened O ring. Don't hurry as you don't want to scratch the bore where the O ring goes. Just keep working at it and you'll get it in the end. Good Luck.

PHAT_pudding

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive SII
thanks for that, but i got impatient and decided to keep the old one in there. i tried something similar to your method, and supported my weight off it!

anyway the solution i went with was to cut the new filter spout a bit, until the pan was able to fit over it when its shoved in the old O ring.

took it for a test run and it seems good :)

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
More than one way to skin a cat I suppose....I think the only problem you may have is that it might allow the oil pump to suck a bit of air...but then again its a fairly tight fit there and the old "O" ring will still do some sealing. Some people put 2 "O" rings on the filter neck for T400 and T700 applications...not because they cannot get the old one out but to stop it sucking air at high revs. Suck it and see eh!

Torrie_Man

Mad Kent'
Reaction score
Members Ride
75 LH HOLDEN TORANA
i'll admit it mate, most mechanics leave the old ones in too!

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
there easy to remove ....get a small screwdriver (smallest you can find but not the tinniest...if you know what i mean lol) and a small hammer. Hit the edge of the metal part of the seal inwards until you can leaver it out (being careful not to damage the trans) now that the old one is out get a socket that is the same size as the seal and carefully tap it back in until its home

done

hope this helps as it has worked for me a few t imes

PHAT_pudding

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive SII
yeah i figured most mechanics leave the old one in. never mind.

and how does it suck air? i thought the entire system was immersed in the oil and the pan acted like a resoviour?

and i'll try this screw driver tapping method next time. in another 50,000 hehe.

thanks for all the help guys. its my impatience thats the problem.