Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transmission fluid change 2012 Holden VE SV6 Series 2 Commodore wagon

tom_robson42

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Series 2 Wagon
Hi everyone,
Hoping someone can help me with this issue. I have recently drained approximately 3.5L from the transmission in my 2012 Holden VE SV6 Commodore automatic wagon as i thought it was the engine oil (ive had a big week). I went into supercheap to replace the il i have drained however i cannot find anywhere to top up the oil. I have since found out there is no dipstick to pour the oil, however it must be poured into the transmission itself. I was hoping if anyone could let me know where exactly the inlet is and how i go about it. Thanks !

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Hi everyone,
Hoping someone can help me with this issue. I have recently drained approximately 3.5L from the transmission in my 2012 Holden VE SV6 Commodore automatic wagon as i thought it was the engine oil (ive had a big week). I went into supercheap to replace the il i have drained however i cannot find anywhere to top up the oil. I have since found out there is no dipstick to pour the oil, however it must be poured into the transmission itself. I was hoping if anyone could let me know where exactly the inlet is and how i go about it. Thanks !
How did you drain 3.5 litres from the tranny?
Surely you would have seen the refill tab.

If you are trying to save money, leave the car until you have saved the money to have the car trucked to mechanics. In the long run, you'll still have a tranny or motor that will still works.

tom_robson42

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Series 2 Wagon
As stated, I mistook the drain engine oil drain plug for the transmission so i was not looking for the transmission refil point while i drained the fluid ..... And as mentioned before this was no attempt to 'save money' rather a stuff up on my behalf.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
i am guessing 6 speed auto
it fills from the same hole a plastic plug on the upper case, drivers side
fill util it just starts to trickle out
then start engine add another 1-2 litres
when trans reaches 50 degrees celsius top up to where it just overflows
you can use engineering mode to display trans temperature
edit to correct info

Last edited:

tom_robson42

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Series 2 Wagon
Thanks so much! Whats the easiest way to pump it back into the hole if its upside down? Oil pump?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Some kind of clean oil pump yes.
Super heap sell a tom thumb pump that holds about 1 litre.

timd29

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V S1 International 6.0
There should a fill plug on the upper edge drivers side of the transmission, can use a hand pump. Plenty of YouTube videos for it.