Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transmission fluid change.

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
Hi guys,

Thinking about doing a fluid change for the transmission since changing gears has become a bit of a chore. Seen a few posts saying the T56 takes about 4.4L and some say to take the reverse sensor out and add about another 400ml. Where and what does this sensor look like?

Should I also bother to put in some cheap fluid to flush the current stuff out? Monaro's got just under 45k on it.

Last edited:

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Can confirm the T56 takes 4.4 litres

This is how I do my gearbox oil change:
# Remove the drain plug in the bottom of box first, then remove the filler plug......Because the oil level in the box is above the filler plug and oil will go everywhere if you remove it first.
# Refit the drain plug in the bottom of the box after the oil has drained
# Refill the box through the "filler" plug on the passengers side of the gearbox till it starts to run out the hole
# Refit the "Filler" plug
# Unplug wiring into reverse sensor, remove sensor and add another 400mls of oil through the hole
# Refit reverse switch and reconnect wiring plug to switch
# Job Done

The Reverse Sensor is on the drivers side of the gearbox......It has a wiring harness plugged into it
It's located roughly in the centre and about 1/2 way up the side of the box......You can't miss it
I use a 22mm flat ring spanner to undo it enough until I can unscrew it by hand

This is the reverse sensor when looking up at the box from under the car
T56 Reverse sensor.jpg

Last edited:

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
I use this 1 litre pump to fill the gearbox with oil
They are a bit slow but they do make the job of filling the box a lot easier

Tom Thumb.jpg

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
Can confirm the T56 takes 4.4 litres

This is how I do my gearbox oil change:
# Remove the drain plug in the bottom of box first, then remove the filler plug......Because the oil level in the box is above the filler plug and oil will go everywhere if you remove it first.
# Refit the drain plug in the bottom of the box after the oil has drained
# Refill the box through the "filler" plug on the passengers side of the gearbox till it starts to run out the hole
# Refit the "Filler" plug
# Unplug wiring into reverse sensor, remove sensor and add another 400mls of oil through the hole
# Refit reverse switch and reconnect wiring plug to switch
# Job Done

The Reverse Sensor is on the drivers side of the gearbox......It has a wiring harness plugged into it
It's located roughly in the centre and about 1/2 way up the side of the box......You can't miss it
I use a 22mm flat ring spanner to undo it enough until I can unscrew it by hand

This is the reverse sensor when looking up at the box from under the car

Thanks for that mate. Think I should do a flush with cheap stuff before throwing the Penrite in or would it be alright to just drain the current stuff then refill with the Penrite?

I use this 1 litre pump to fill the gearbox with oil
They are a bit slow but they do make the job of filling the box a lot easier

View attachment 197839

I thought about grabbing one of those at supercheap earlier, got the little nozzle attachment pump instead. Looks like I'll be returning it for that one since the reviews on the one I got were pretty bad.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
And where do u dispose of the old oil
I dispose.mine at designated Supercheap Auto stores that allow free oil disposal

Not all do. Big yellow bin usually near front doors but check website for what stores.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
And where do u dispose of the old oil

I take my used oil to the collection point at the local dump when my waste oil drum is full.
It doesn't cost me anything and they take care of the recycling

Last edited:

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Thanks for that mate. Think I should do a flush with cheap stuff before throwing the Penrite in or would it be alright to just drain the current stuff then refill with the Penrite?

I thought about grabbing one of those at supercheap earlier, got the little nozzle attachment pump instead. Looks like I'll be returning it for that one since the reviews on the one I got were pretty bad.

In regards to a flush:
For me it would really depend on how discoloured the old ATF was when I drained it.
I did a quick flush before refilling with the Penrite oil.
Because my gearbox was filled with ATF and it was a little on the dark side, I did refill it with ATF first.
Then I went for a 200km (round trip) cruise out of town with the missus on Saturday morning, and when I got home I drained it while it was still hot. I ended up letting it drain overnight and refilled it with the Penrite Pro Gear the next morning.
I replaced the oil 5,000km's after that initial fill with Penrite Progear, and it was a total waste of money & oil. The oil that came out of the gearbox was so clean that it looked like it had been poured straight from the new bottle into the drain container.

They are a good little pump those Tom Thumb units, not the cheapest, but they work well.
I reckon that I've pumped at least 20 or 30 litres of assorted weight oils through mine and it's still going strong

Last edited:

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
In regards to a flush:
For me it would really depend on how discoloured the old ATF was when I drained it.
I did a quick flush before refilling with the Penrite oil.
Because my gearbox was filled with ATF and it was a little on the dark side, I did refill it with ATF first.
Then I went for a 200km (round trip) cruise out of town with the missus on Saturday morning, and when I got home I drained it while it was still hot. I ended up letting it drain overnight and refilled it with the Penrite Pro Gear the next morning.
I replaced the oil 5,000km's after that initial fill with Penrite Progear, and it was a total waste of money & oil. The oil that came out of the gearbox was so clean that it looked like it had been poured straight from the new bottle into the drain container.

They are a good little pump those Tom Thumb units, not the cheapest, but they work well.
I reckon that I've pumped at least 20 or 30 litres of assorted weight oils through mine and it's still going strong

Got it done today. Fluid was a little dark but I couldn't be arsed to do it again. Was that 4.4L altogether? I pumped about 4l into the fill port and another 400ml into the reverse sensor.

Last edited:

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Got it done today. Fluid was a little dark but I couldn't be arsed to do it again. Was that 4.4L altogether? I pumped about 4l into the fill port and another 400ml into the reverse sensor.

Spot on mate
Yeah it's 4.4 litres in total, and how you did it was correct.

Don't stress about not giving the box a flush before refilling it.
I did it because I'm kind of pedantic when it comes to the maintenance of my cars :D