Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transmission Fluid

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Soooo confused.

Pour Fluid in when on.
Check when car off but still in "Drive"

Never knew transmission fluid is that confusing!! or I'm just retarded.

Crazy.Vr - I do wipe the dipstick first ... but as I pull it out the second time ... it runs on the edge of the tube smearing the fluid up the dipstick.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
give it time to settle down and in. otherwise add it with engine off, check it in drive.

I'll have to check it again when I get home. I was rushed for time when I was checking on my lunch break. So ye it wasn't settled and didn't give me a good reading at all.

vn calais manual

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais, vs clubsport #137
Soooo confused.

Pour Fluid in when on.
Check when car off (how does tat change it?)

or

I supposed to have car on, in "drive" with handbreak applied, test and fill?

Never knew transmission fluid is that confusing!! or I'm just retarded.

Crazy.Vr - I do wipe the dipstick first ... but as I pull it out the second time ... it runs on the edge of the tube smearing the fluid up the dipstick.

Add the Fluid with the car OFF check it with the car ON lol.

get the car warm.. stop car put on handbrake, put car in drive. make sure car isnt going anywhere, check the oil level, switch car off, add a small amount of oil, start the car wait a minute and re-check, repeat until oil is at correct level.

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Thank you VN Calais lol. Some people just need about 3 other people to explain it lol. No offence to the author of this post.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Thank you VN Calais lol. Some people just need about 3 other people to explain it lol. No offence to the author of this post.

ayyyyyye Im not that retarded :p
Im a tryna learn how to fix my car cheaply. I'm DEFINATELY no mechanic.
Had to ask a couple of times before I do something stupid .... because car in "Drive" and me out of car ... normally doesn't sound clever :yeah:

Sorry everbody for the noob question and replies. It's been a long day.

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
because car in "Drive" and me out of car

HAHAHHAHAHAHA That's why i said to put the Hand Brake on :p But as you mentioned it doesn't really work, so do what calais_cruzin said and put some rocks or brickers behind your back wheels. I myself am still learning mate and in no way a qualified mechanic. Good to see you are wanting to learn though :)

Good luck with it all and keep us updated :)

Mumbo

vn calais manual

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais, vs clubsport #137
get sum1 to sit in the car with foot on the brake if u trust them, and or block the wheels.

Chris E

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Executive 3.8
I swear the dipstick says to check the fluid with engine running gearbox in park?

willsvs

will
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
ok guys im a trans machanic you can eighter do what they have said have the car in drive and the handbrake on or just check it in nuetrel with the engine running u will still get an accurate enough reading, good luck mate

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
I swear the dipstick says to check the fluid with engine running gearbox in park?

No you can't. I didn't think you could do it in Neutral. You need it Drive or Neutral as Neutral idles slightly different then Park so therefore pushing the fluid through everything.