Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transmission Fluid

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
as long as the engines running and its been through the gears to send fluid all round the box and filled the cooler its all good. the pump is pumping out the sump as long as the engine is running so keeps the level down.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
After a drive and resting on level ground, engine idling at running temp and in park, works every time for me and most trans shops around aust.

Sgt Santa Cruz

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR Statesman
yup i always have the car running and transmission in park ive never heard of having to have a commy in drive to check it. it seems silly and dangerous (i know even with everything secure) just doesnt sound right

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
ok guys im a trans machanic you can eighter do what they have said have the car in drive and the handbrake on or just check it in nuetrel with the engine running u will still get an accurate enough reading, good luck mate

Hi Willsvs,
I just drove my car to warm, put gear in neutral and checked it... and some more fluid and now sits between | hot | section. So all is good. Now I just gotta find out if my transmission is leaking... I have a feeling it is... ages ago I had a big transmission fluid puddle (I always thought it was overfilled and thats the excess ... apparently not :bang:), I'll have another look where I park to see if theres any fluid.

If there is... would you know much it would cost me to get my seals fixed? Estimate is good enough. I just wouldn't have a clue.

holdenrocks

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Commodore
your tranny will be leaking when its hotter (should be little smoking), the seal will be gone and got bands slippery. its happen to me lots. got rebuilt the tranny, after the rebuilt the tranny.. thats will be all perfect, no leaking. as required need bigger tranny cooler as will much improve the heat in trannsmission...

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
Please don't check your trans fluid while the car is in drive. That's just dangerous. Even the Gregory's manual and handbook says to check it in neutral.

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
This thread is a load of crap. Who thought up the "check it in drive idea??"

After motor is hot like, after a twenty minute drive, park on level ground with the motor idling and gear box in PARK. Then take your readings on the dipstick. If you've just done a full box service and have added new fluid then put in nearly the specified amount (4.8 litres or whatever your book says) then start her up in park and check the levels but wait till you've had a reasonable drive around before reading the level too seriously.

shiftySLE

The Lion will never Die!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE, VZ Acclaim
This thread is a load of crap. Who thought up the "check it in drive idea??"

After motor is hot like, after a twenty minute drive, park on level ground with the motor idling and gear box in PARK. Then take your readings on the dipstick. If you've just done a full box service and have added new fluid then put in nearly the specified amount (4.8 litres or whatever your book says) then start her up in park and check the levels but wait till you've had a reasonable drive around before reading the level too seriously.

I was wondering as I was reading the thread how long it would take for someone to be right. Checking the oil in drive is not necessary and if anything dangerous.
Go for a short drive, it doesn't take long to get up to temp, leave in Park and check it.
Thats it, why do people complicate things.

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Exactly. I've had a VH, a VS and two VY's and never had transmission issues whilst using the "park" method. I believe it is the correct method.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
yup i always have the car running and transmission in park ive never heard of having to have a commy in drive to check it. it seems silly and dangerous (i know even with everything secure) just doesnt sound right
I agree with you guys - not sure where the idea that the transmission had to be in drive came from. Holden workshop manual clearly states:
1. Start engine and drive vehicle for a minimum of 24km or until normal transmission operating temperature is reached
2. Park vehicle on level ground
3. Move gear lever to "PARK" position
4. Apply park brake
5. Let engine idle for 3 mins with accessories turned off
6. Check fluid level on dipstick
7. If fluid level is low add just enough to bring level into the Hot area