Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transmission Fluid

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Hi all,
Noob question here... but I've never changed/filled my transmission fluid... nor checked it :whistling. I was looking over my car the other day and pulled out the transmission rod (car off).. checked it and it was way over the "hot" part... my car has been leaking transmission fluid for some time now... I had gathered that some douche overfilled it... after having some concerns about overfilling = really bad... I wanted to check the transmission properly.

I drove the car until it was warmed up (mid way on temp gauge) and checked the transmission and it was like not even on the rod!!

Is it normal to have such a high reading when car off? (I was thinking because the gears haven't changed and it's cold).

Now I think because of the leaking transmission fluid .... I think the seals have gone on it. Because after running the car to 50% temp gauge and barely having a reading on the dipstick.. something is seriously wrong.

Anyone know what it would cost to get the seals fixed on the transmission??

It's a 96 VS S2 Calais, V6, 215,xxxK, if that helps.

Last edited:

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Hey Mate,

To check it properly you to need to turn your car on (Make sure your hand brake is on) knock it into drive and then check it from there. This should be done just after you have taken it for like a 10 - 20min drive to get everything warmed up. If you still suspect it is leaking, get under neath and check the cooling lines going from the radiator to the gear box on both ends. Make sure they are tight. You will have to jack the car up and get underneath to check the lines at the gearbox.

Cheers

Mumbo

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Hey Mate,

To check it properly you to need to turn your car on (Make sure your hand brake is on) knock it into drive and then check it from there. This should be done just after you have taken it for like a 10 - 20min drive to get everything warmed up. If you still suspect it is leaking, get under neath and check the cooling lines going from the radiator to the gear box on both ends. Make sure they are tight. You will have to jack the car up and get underneath to check the lines at the gearbox.

Cheers

Mumbo

Just to double check ... Have handbrake up and in drive? isn't that bad?

vn calais manual

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais, vs clubsport #137
no. u will not be moving. thats the correct way to check. needs to be hot though. hence the hot mark on the dipstick. ;)

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Yes make sure u have the handbrake up and put it in drive. Otherwise you might find yourself under the car if on a slight slope lol.

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
make sure ur handbreak works too, alot of older commo's dont have workin handbreaks.

I usually put a rock under the tyre jst to make sure i aint gettin run down.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
make sure ur handbreak works too, alot of older commo's dont have workin handbreaks.

I usually put a rock under the tyre jst to make sure i aint gettin run down.

That's sum handy advice there! :thumbsup: When I was in a rush once, I forgot my handbreak was still half on :whistling Don't think my handbreak works too well.

But I meant earlier about just checking the dipstick, not getting underneath the car. On my lunch break I had a look at my manual... says drive 20km's (too warm up everything) and then check the dipstick on a flat surface. I didn't have much of a reading ... so I went and brought some fluid. Poured it in (while engine was running)... checked the dipstick ... only problem was .... as I pull the dipstick out, I have fluid all the way up the dipstick :p I only poured like 500mls in ... I'll drive home and have another test then ... once all the fluid runs down the tube :thumbsup:

What happens if I don't put it in drive? I checked it while it was in park. Will it add fluid or lessen the actual fluid? I just don't want to put too much in ya know.

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Add the Fluid with the car OFF check it with the car ON lol.

crazy.vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore
Wipe the dipstick first then put it in and take it out for a accurate reading.

vn calais manual

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais, vs clubsport #137
give it time to settle down and in. otherwise add it with engine off, check it in drive.