Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transmission Installation - Need Help

Mr Robbo - The General

Defect Notice Attractor
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II Statesman 5L
Hey evry1, im trying to bolt in a 5 speed into the vk, (she was an auto) , im up to putting the box in, just having a bit of trouble. I have gotten as far as pressure/clutch and spigot bearing on, having trouble with getting the box on. it slides in almost the whole way on and stops about 10mm short. just wondering what could be the problem.

Shifty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
EF Almost Turbo
what sort of gearbox you putting in?

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Have you got the right flywheel on for the box? The input shaft the correct type?

Mr Robbo - The General

Defect Notice Attractor
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II Statesman 5L
yep, its a M76 box, everything is stock on it, hasnt been touched, all the clutch parts and flywheel are right

Wrayza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais
I'm doing the exact same thing mate, at the same stage aswell. Did you have fun with your pedal box? I did....

I'm yet to buy a pressure plate and the spigot bush, but I'll let you know if I run into the same problem. Hope all goes well

Mr Robbo - The General

Defect Notice Attractor
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II Statesman 5L
yeah good luck, i havnt done the pedal box yet!! lol

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
Did you use an alignment tool to make sure the clutch plate is centred properly. If the clutch plate isnt exactly centre you will not be able to get the front shaft to fit into the spigot bush.

9C1pack

Reaction score
Yep "Treecutter" has it.
Make an alignment tool. I dodgied one up by using a large drill bit that the blunt end fitted into the spigot bush nicely, then I wrapped tape arond the drill shaft where the clutch plate was until it was a nice fit in the hole in the clutch. It just holds it in place while you tighten the pressure plate bolts up. you then remove it and the gearbox shaft should slide through, you may need to get a mate to move the engine pulley a bit to enable the splines in the clutch and gearbox front shaft to align, if it still refuses to go in. If you have access to a lathe, wizz one up out of an old broom handle, it doesn't have to be metal.

Mr Robbo - The General

Defect Notice Attractor
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II Statesman 5L
hey every1, cheers, just letting u know i got it all in, yes i did use an alignment tool first up, the problem turned out to be the spigot bush not gone in all the way :mad:, anyway its all in now :) cheers every1