Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transmission Issue maybe?

ShaunTur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Hi guys, my auto vs has been changing gears pretty slowly recently and slipping out of gear in the cold so decided to change my trans fluid and a new filter.
All went well except now the problem is worse. It's hard to explain but it feels like when the clutch is pressed in and out in a manual. From stop, it is in gear as it doesn't roll back but if I keep the accelerator constant the car will start revving but hardly move and will pick up and jerk forward every now and then until it reaches a faster speed.
I Havnt driven in cold yet but I Havnt had any complete slipping out of gear.
I will check the codes tomorrow and see what comes up, but just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas?

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
Filled to appropriate level?

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
was the seal in good condition where the filter goes into the body?

ShaunTur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
yeah was all good, but replaced it with the new one anyway

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
Many k's on the trans?
How was the oil colour when you dropped it?

ShaunTur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
I think its around 300k. The oil was dirty but no metal shavings or flakes on the magnet.
Started it thismorning in the cold and wouldn't engage in any gear, even reverse.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
4L60e Common Problems:

Symptom: No movement in any gear
Problem: "Pump failure, or total loss of fluid. If out of fluid, avoid running the engine until the Transmission is refilled to avoid pump damage. To check for pump failure, check fluid level with the engine off, then start the engine and recheck fluid level. If level does not go down when engine is running, the pump is broken.
Possible Repair: Remove & replace or rebuild, or refill pan and find the leak.

BTW - how did you check the fluid level? Recommended method is to warm up the transmission by driving for 20mins or so. Park the car on level ground - leave engine idling with trans lever in Park. Move the trans lever from Park through all gears to Reverse and back to Park again (with your foot on the brake obviously). With the engine idling and trans lever back in Park check the trans fluid and make sure the level is in the cross-hatched "Hot" area.

ShaunTur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Thanks for the advice, I'll check the cold to hot level drop soon. But yeah thats how I checked it in the first place, so definetly has the right amount of fluid.