Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[LS1] Transmission issue

WK8YOU

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman
Hey,

So I brought a WK statesman back in January 18' it was cheap with a blown gearbox (second gear was gone). I got it home, and brought a rebuild kit from eBay and rebuilt the gearbox. After rebuilding the box, it was good for about a week or so, then I tried to do a once off burnout, and the car (or transmission) just has no guts. Its a stock LS1 and can't do a burnout.. Unless its wet, but wet weather burnouts aren't as good.

Anyway, the reason for this thread is to find out if someone would have the slightest clue as to why?; my cousin (who rebuilt the box for me) has done his 4-5 times and never have an issue. I don't know if its the gearbox, the weight of the car (being a statesman) or what.

What else to note;
When we were looking over the car, we saw this random black wire go from fuse box under the bonnet down to the gearbox loom. We unplugged it cause we had no idea what it was for, and the car was stuck in LHM and we put the wire back on, then wire was connected to the "Auto Trans" fuse .. No idea why?

This last thing is something I have trouble explaining, but Ill give it my best

So, sometimes when I am cruising between 60 or 80 weather cruise control is on or not the car sort of just rev's up and down by itself very lightly, but noticeable. I only noticed the issue after the rebuild of the gearbox.

Lastly, I love my car. I don't intentionally go do burnouts etc I just wanted to try it that once
Hopefully this isn't to much to read, and hopefully someone who does read it can understand what I'm saying with everything.

Thanks in advanced

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Torque management is your problem. It’s basically anti abuse mode.

Having it tuned will remove/reduce torque management. A stock ls1 will spin both wheels without issue even in a fully optioned Caprice with nothing but a tune.

WK8YOU

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman
According to the previous owner it had a tune, or maf tune or something.

No idea if it does or doesn't though, this is my first ls1 I've owned, still learning the motor etc