Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transmission issues?

Flak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
hi guys,

My 1986 VL Calais was stolen a couple of months back and thankfully was recovered in almost 1 piece....I've spent a fair bit of time and money 'putting it back togethor'. For the purpose of this post, its an auto.

However, ever since I've had it back, it fails to drop (change) into top gear, meaning that it revs at slightly over 2000rpm @ 80km/h. It definately still changes into overdrive once warm but refuses to 'change up' (or lower the revs) any further.

I only ask because i know that it used to register 2000rpm @ 100km/h and am naturally worried that this may cause unnecessary engine wear, especially if travelling interstate, not to mention less than ideal fuel consumption!

Thanks for your time,
joel

Last edited:

mag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 1 Acclaim 2003
hi guys,

My 1986 VL Calais was stolen a couple of months back and thankfully was recovered in almost 1 piece....I've spent a fair bit of time and money 'putting it back togethor'. For the purpose of this post, its an auto.

However, ever since I've had it back, it fails to drop (change) into top gear, meaning that it revs at slightly over 2000rpm @ 80km/h. It definately still changes into overdrive once warm but refuses to 'change up' (or lower the revs) any further.

I only ask because i know that it used to register 2000rpm @ 100km/h and am naturally worried that this may cause unnecessary engine wear, especially if travelling interstate, not to mention less than ideal fuel consumption!

Thanks for your time,
joel

There's 2 changes that happens, 1 is the converter locks(to improve mileage) and the other is an electric overdrive cuts in to drop rpm.
I'm guessing that the lock up convert is working but not the overdrive as the revs would other wise drop..
Could be a plug or wire off ect..:thumbsup:

Flak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
Thanks Mag, appreciate it mate. Will have to look into it.

mag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 1 Acclaim 2003
Thanks Mag, appreciate it mate. Will have to look into it.

Took note in my car today, 80kph=2000rpm in pwr mode.
Torque converter not locked and overdrive not on..;)